Excavation and Trench Permit Application


An Excavation and Trench Permit is required if you are excavating or trenching on private property or in a public right-of-way in the City of Cambridge.  Please be sure to understand and meet all of the permit requirements, including the A-Tag Marker program before starting the application process as permits will not be issued until all requirements are met.  A Utility Permit application must be submitted to the Cambridge Electrical Department for any electrical or communications work being done in the City of Cambridge.

NEW  The Public Works Department now offers the purchase of permits online.  View online permit application instructions for complete details.   Please note that PIN numbers are required for contractors (see instructions). 

NOTICE  Methods of Payment include
: Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit cards, Visa or MasterCard debit cards or electronic check (E-check).  A convenience fee will be charged for each purchase:  2.5% for Visa, MasterCard or Discover and a $2.00 flat fee for payments made by E-check.  Learn more about online payments and convenience fees. You will be taken to a secure, third party payment processor, Velocity Payment Systems, to submit payment online.

You can still download a paper application (pdf) and return it to the Public Works office at 147 Hampshire Street.  If you have any questions, please call the Permit Administrator at 617.349.4833 or email publicworkspermits@cambridgema.gov


How can we help you? I'd like...

Mobile Cambridge

Keeping you connected wherever you are. Learn more about Mobile Cambridge


Have a question?
Find the answer in our extensive
Frequently Asked Questions

Dept of Public Works

147 Hampshire St
Cambridge MA 02139


Hours of Service

Monday: 8:30am-8:00pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30am-5:00pm
Friday: 8:30am-12 noon
24 Hour emergency 617.349.4860


Tuesday & Thursday: 4:00pm-7:30pm
Saturday: 9:00am-4:00pm

Owen O'Riordan