Taxi & Livery Car Safety
In order to protect yourself when using or hailing taxi cabs or livery service vehicles, Cambridge Police encourage you to follow the tips below:
- Do not get into unmarked taxi or livery cars
- Use only licensed cabs or clearly identifiable livery service vehicles that are called to your location.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, especially at night.
- When parking, walking or returning to your car, travel in well-lit and populated areas.
- Wear sneakers or shoes that allow for added mobility.
- Be watchful and aware. Keep your head up. Make quick eye contact with those around you and be observant of passing vehicles. Don’t become distracted by talking on a cell phone or listening to an iPod/similar device.
- Avoid walking alone late at night. Walk with friends and people you know.
- Keep a whistle within reach. If threatened, use the whistle to signal residents for help. Yelling “Fire!” “Help!” or “Rape!” are ways of drawing attention and alerting people of your situation.
- Hold your car keys in your hand to use as a weapon against an attacker.
- Carry a cell phone and call ahead to your destination to alert them that you’re on the way. Make sure you’re expected at a certain time, so in the event you fail to show up, those expecting you will know enough to begin looking for you.
- Walk with confidence. Don’t let anyone violate your space. Trust your instincts. Anyone at anytime can be a victim of crime so never assume, “IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME.”
- If an unarmed attacker confronts you, believe in your ability to defend, distract, or even incapacitate the attacker enough to escape.
- If you think that someone is following you, switch direction or cross the street. Walk towards an open store, restaurant or residence
Hours of Service
Cambridge Police Department
Email Us with general inquiries about the department or questions about resources/programs offered by the police. DO NOT use this form to submit tips or report crimes in progress.
125 Sixth Street