Amory Street Reconstruction
Roadway & Sidewalk Reconstruction
During the week of May 4, 2015, Eversource Gas (formerly known as NSTAR Gas) will be mobilizing to Amory Street to upgrade the gas main and all individual services. This work is being done to improve service to their customers. All operations associated with this phase of the Amory Street Reconstruction Project is expected to be completed within two months. When Eversource Gas crews begin to replace individual services, they may need to access your basement or area that current houses the gas meter. Eversource Gas is expected to relocate all gas meters to the exterior of properties. Company representatives will be in touch with residents to schedule these appointments.
What To Expect During Construction
• General work hours will be from 7AM to 4PM.
• “No Parking” signs will be posted in advance of construction. Please be sure to check posted signs for exact date and times.
• When work occurs directly in front of driveways or entryways, the contractor will coordinate access directly with residents.
• City services will continue uninterrupted and emergency vehicles will maintain access at all times.
• The roadway will be closed (open to abutters only)
• The Cambridge Water Department has updated the water main and individual services.
• D’Allessandro Corporation, the City’s contractor, has installed additional drainage structures to assist in stormwater runoff in the area and in preparation for two curb extensions.
• Crews are scheduled begin the surface work (reconstruction of roadway and sidewalks) this summer/fall.
In addition to sidewalks, handicap ramps and roadway reconstruction and paving, the project includes traffic calming elements to reduce vehicle speeds and enhance safety for pedestrians. These were developed through a community process, which included a neighborhood meeting (May 2014) where residents expressed their concerns that vehicles were traveling too quickly and did not obey the stop sign at the intersection at St. Mary Road. City staff also had several follow-up meetings with individual property owners.
As a result, the project design includes a new raised crosswalk at the intersection of Amory Street with Broadway and a curb extension at the intersection of Amory and Hampshire Street. A raised intersection will be constructed at Amory and St. Mary to slow vehicles and curb extensions around existing trees in front of #119 - #127 and #153 to provide access and enhance pedestrian safety. The stop sign at the intersection will also be removed due to the raised intersection.
The Cambridge Water Department is expected to have updates to the new water main and services completed by December 2014.
NStar Gas is expected to perform upgrades to the gas main and gas services on Amory Street, between Broadway and Hampshire, in the spring 2015
The roadway and sidewalk reconstruction phase of this project will begin in spring/summer 2015 and is expected to be completed by fall 2015.
The Amory Street Reconstruction Project includes:
- Roadway reconstruction
- Sidewalk reconstruction
- Traffic calming measures at the St. Mary Road intersection
City of Cambridge - Department of Public Works
147 Hampshire Street
Cambridge, MA 02139
For additional information or assistance, please contact Chris Neil, Community Relations Manager: email@example.com /617.349.4825.
For 24 hour emergency assistance, please call Public Works at 617.349.4800.
How can we help you? I'd like...
Keeping you connected wherever you are. Learn more about Mobile Cambridge