CodeRED is an emergency notification system that allows the City to send emergency notifications to subscribers via email, text and phone calls. This service will be used in the event of emergencies affecting the City, such as snow emergencies, evacuations, large-scale water outages or other significant service disruptions.
We encourage anyone who lives, works, attends school, owns property or is otherwise interested in being informed about emergencies connected to one or more Cambridge addresses to enroll online with CodeRed using the link below. Once you enroll, you should set up an account so you can self manage it.
Because of this, it is vitally important that members of the community use the CodeRED online subscription page to add their home phone (land line), cell phone numbers, email addresses, and VoIP-type phone numbers. Please use only a proper Cambridge street address number and street name with suffix (e.g., 100 Cambridge St) when entering your Cambridge address. Post Office box numbers or addresses outside of Cambridge cannot be accepted.
If you need assistance enrolling online, you can download the Registration Form below and mail it to CodeRED Enrollment, Cambridge Emergency Communications, 125 6th St, Cambridge MA 02142. You can also call 617-349-9490 for more information, or to leave information sufficient for us to enroll you.
Sign up for CodeRED
Citizen Observer is a service used by the Cambridge Police Department to send e-mail and text alerts about crime and other notifications to the various neighborhoods of the City.
Registering for Citizen Observer
Residents are encouraged to sign up to receive notifications for their neighborhood as well as the "CITYWIDE" group. The groups are:
- Cambridge PD: CITYWIDE
- Cambridge PD: East Cambridge
- Cambridge PD: MIT
- Cambridge PD: Inman/Harrington
- Cambridge PD: Area 4
- Cambridge PD: Cambridgeport
- Cambridge PD: Mid-Cambridge
- Cambridge PD: Riverside
- Cambridge PD: Agassiz
- Cambridge PD: Peabody
- Cambridge PD: West Cambridge
- Cambridge PD: North Cambridge
- Cambridge PD: Cambridge Highlands
- Cambridge PD: Strawberry Hill
Notifications will come in three forms:
- Citizen Alerts - The most important and timely notification from the police will be labeled as such and sent to the affected neighborhood(s) and the "CITYWIDE" group. These alerts will typically be sent within 12 hours of the incident during the following scenarios:
- Threats to Public Safety
- High Profile Incidents
- Advisory - This type of notification will be primarily used to share important information with the community and will be sent to affected neighborhood(s) and the "CITYWIDE" group if the information affects the entire community. Typically, these notifications will be sent following the monthly BridgeStat release, and will include information about the following:
- Significant Incidents and Follow-ups
- Crime Patterns Identified in BridgeStat
- Neighborhood Info - Notifications will be sent to inform individual neighborhoods about neighborhood-specific information that does not apply to the city as a whole, such as:
- Neighborhood Meetings
- Other Neighborhood-Specific Announcements
Citizen Observer also allows people to text anonymous crime tips to the police
, helping provide valuable information to investigators and make our community a safer place.
The Cambridge Police has joined the private social network for neighborhoods to provide important news, services, programs, free events, and emergency notifications to Nextdoor users residing within the city. In turn, residents will be able to engage with each of the police department’s posts with questions and comments, as well as send private messages to the department.
RapidSOS Haven is a mobile safety and security app that puts the power of a home security system right in your pocket. With the RapidSOS Haven app, you can transmit data directly to 9-1-1, including your type of emergency, GPS location, and relevant medical and demographic data. You can even text 9-1-1 if you can’t speak. Haven also keeps you connected to your loved ones by informing them if you have an emergency and also makes it possible to see where your loved ones are in real-time through the Family Connect built-in feature.
Residents of Cambridge, MA enjoy 10 years of free access to the Haven Family Annual Plan.
Cambridge E-Line is a web-based subscription service that offers the following City notifications via email:
- Street Cleaning Reminders - Automatic reminder of your upcoming street cleaning days
- Trash and Recycling Reminders - Weekly reminder of your trash/recycling schedule
- Weekly E-Line Newsletter - Email newsletter that contains:
- City News and Happenings
- Key Upcoiming Events
- Construction Updates
- Job Openings
Sign up for E-Line