9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Friday, September 20, 2013
All over town!
Jennifer Lawrence, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-349-4671
PARKing Day 2013 is coming your way!
Download the map and Scavenger Hunt Form TODAY to win great prizes! Details below.
Soccer Nights: Parking Spot of Dreams – Vineyard Community Offerings
The Park of Microscopic Life – Friends of the Fresh Pond Reservation, Friends of the Tobin
Composting in Cambridge – City Compost
Bringing the River to You – Charles River Conservancy
Voter Registration – Elections Commission
Young Cambridge Entrepreneurs! – The Possible Project
The Public Living Room – Harvard Urban Planning Organization
The Global Living Room and Library – The Democracy Center
Biking to the Future – Cambridge Bicycle Committee
Bicycle Tune-ups – Cambridge Bicycle Committee
Shoe Exchange – Cambridge Pedestrian Committee
No Doors, No Cars! – The Door Store and Mass Ave Residents (two spots for the price of one)
Cambridge Tap - Cambridge Mayor’s Office
NeighborMedia: We’ve Got Cambridge Covered – CCTV
OUR GREEN FUTURE: Cardboard Box Furniture and Net-Zero Building – Green Cambridge
Flip Your World Upside Down – Cambridge Community Gymnastics
Mini-Golf, Anyone? C2 Cultural District Lawn Games – C2 Business Association (4 spots!)
BROADWAY AT INMAN STREET
Free Form City – Cambridge Community Development Department – Community Planning
Our Cambridge Home – Cambridge Community Development Department – Housing
Kids Fun – Cambridge Community Development Department, Economic Development
Fitness Fun – Community Development Department, Environmental and Transportation Planning
Fun in the Sun – Cambridge Energy Alliance
You can recycle WHAT? – Department of Public Works Recycling Center
Who Works at 344 Broadway? – CDD, TPT, Animal Commission, Arts Council
East Cambridge Intercept Survey – ECBA, Community Development Department – Econ. Development
Healthy Markets – Cambridge in Motion
Poems in the Park – East End House
Sit for a Spell – Cambridgeport School
CPCU - Banking…just better – CPCU
Future of Food Farming – MIT Senseable City Lab
Bicycle-Powered Spin Art – Charles Associates Real Estate
Inspired by Curtis Killorn – Cambridgeport Children’s Center
Participate in PARKing Day 2013 by joining our Scavenger Hunt!
In a very simply-put way, you visit all 32 locations, you win a prize!
(There are 36 spots, but 5 are shared – no need to visit the same spot twice!)
Rules of the Game
Visit, Click, Email and Post!
Teams must be between 1-4 people (if you have more than four members, you are ineligible for prizes, but can still participate!)
• You have from 9am-5pm on 9/20 to visit all 32 locations.
• Based on the hints/questions on the form below, find each spot + get a signature from the vendor.
• Submit your form to email@example.com and be entered to win a prize.
• Follow-us on Facebook or Twitter and share your photos with us throughout the day to win even more prizes!
What do you win?
• 5 lucky winners will get a $25 gift certificate to a Cambridge Local First business member. Full list here.
• The rest of the winners will receive great shwag from the City of Cambridge, The Democracy Center, and The Possible Project.
• For all of you who share photos with us on Facebook/Twitter, you will get another great prize!
How else can you get free stuff?
Everybody can win these prizes!
• Biking to the Future: Hubway t-shirt (with key fob)
• Shoe Exchange: Pedometers or ponchos
• Bike Tune-up: Bicycle lights
• Economic Development: Kids toys and business card holders
• Soccer Nights: Soccer t-shirt or a backpack
• Cambridge Energy Alliance: SmartStrip (by taking a renter survey)
• Housing: Tape Measures
• Environment and Transportation: Bicycle bells and pedometers
Other Specialty Raffle Prizes (all gift certificates are worth $25)
• Community Planning: 1 Gift certificate to the East Cambridge Business Association, 1 gift certificate to the Inman Square Business Association and 3 to Cambridge Local First
• Economic Development: 5 Gift certificates to the Inman Square Business Association
• Housing Division: 5 gift certificates to the East Cambridge Business Association
What if I don’t have access to email?
• Great question! If you don’t have email, simply drop your completed form off at 344 Broadway, 3rd floor, or mail it to:
Cambridge Community Development Department
344 Broadway, 3rd Floor
Cambridge, MA 02139
Download the Cambridge map and PARK(ing) Day Scavenger Hunt Form here - not finalized. Will be here soon!
What is PARK(ing) Day?
PARK(ing) Day is an annual international event where residents, artists and activists come together to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into “PARK(ing)” spaces: temporary public places. The project began in 2005 when Rebar, a San Francisco art and design studio, converted a single metered parking space into a temporary public park in downtown San Francisco. Since 2005, PARK(ing) Day has evolved into a global movement, with organizations and individuals creating new forms of temporary public space in urban contexts around the world.
The mission of PARK(ing) Day is to call attention to the need for more urban open space, to generate critical debate around how public space is created and allocated, and to improve the quality of urban human habitat … at least until the meter runs out!
Original concept by Rebar. www.rebargroup.org.