The Development Log, published quarterly, tracks larger-scale residential and commercial development projects currently in the permitting or construction phases in the City of Cambridge. The Log contains the name and location of each project, the developer, type of use, and the amount of square footage.
Criteria for inclusion in the Development Log include:
- Commercial projects totaling over 50,000 square feet;
- Commercial projects that have a significant impact on the neighborhood in which located;
- Residential projects of eight or more units that are new construction or rehab/renovation projects and that alter the existing use by adding to the existing number of units or square footage;
- All municipal projects in which a cross section of City departments may have an interest and all which are considered otherwise significant.
Sign Up to Receive the Development Log
Use this form to sign up to receive email alerts when new editions of the Cambridge Development Log are published.
Map of Current Projects
The following map from our Open Data site shows the locations of projects underway as of the last quarter of 2016 or completed during 2016. Click on a point see get a pop-up with more information about the project.
Search and Download Development Log Data
Both current and historical data about projects found in the Development Log are now available to the public in tabular format in the Planning section of the City’s Open Data web site:
You can view and search data without establishing an account. If you wish to save your work or make comments an account is required. There are six Development Log open data tables and two associated maps. To find these search on the term "Development Log":
- “Current Edition” tables contain data from the projects listed in the most recent edition of the Log. The data in these tables is swapped out each time the Log is updated. Note that there are two Current Edition tables, one with project level data and another enumerating individual uses by project. Each table has an associated map.
- "Historical Projects" tables include data about projects completed prior to the current calendar year. Historical projects are broken into two groups.
- The "Development Log Historical Projects Additional Details" table includes projects completed from 2011 to 2015, for which more data is available and that data has been carefully evaluated for accuracy. These records are geocoded using latitude and longitude.
- The "Development Log Historical Projects" table includes all projects completed prior to the current calendar year from 1997 to present. For projects completed prior to 2011 the extent of data collection was not as complete, and the data has not been reviewed in detail for accuracy prior to posting. Pre-2011 projects have not been geocoded for mapping, since we do not currently have the resources to verify project locations.
- Project use data for all historical projects is found in a single "Development Log Historical Projects Use Data" table.
- The "Development Log Maplots" table lists the parcels of land associated with each project either listed in the "Current Edition" tables or completed from 2011 to present..
Download the Development Log
For More Information
For more information about the Development Log please contact Cliff Cook, Planning Information Manager, email@example.com, at 617/349-4656.