Two houses in Cambridge, the Cooper-Frost-Austin House (21 Linnaean Street) and the Hooper-Lee-Nichols House (159 Brattle Street), were built in the late seventeenth century, altered in the eighteenth century, and have been preserved by historical organizations. A dendrochronology study conclusively demonstrated that the timbers used to build the Cooper-Frost-Austin house were harvested in 1682, making it the older of the two buildings. Construction on the Hooper-Lee-Nichols House did not began after 1684/85. The houses are named for the primary families that lived there. For more information on the Cooper-Frost-Austin House, contact Historic New England and to learn more about the Hooper-Lee-Nichols House, visit the website of History Cambridge.

Cooper-Frost-Austin House (21 Linnaean Street). CHC File Photo by Kenneth J. Conant, Jr. for the Cambridge Planning Board, September 1952

Hooper-Lee Nichols House (159 Brattle Street). History Cambridge's Office/Museum. CHC File Photo, April 1979