MIT Zoning Petition (2017)
MIT, jointly with the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), has submitted a zoning petition proposing to create a new PUD-7 overlay district containing provisions that would govern the redevelopment of the Volpe parcel. Continued public hearings will be held at the following dates, times and locations:
- Planning Board: Tuesday, September 12, 6:30pm, 344 Broadway (Second Floor)
- Ordinance Committee: Wednesday, September 13, 2:30pm, Sullivan Chamber, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Ave (Second Floor)
Video can be viewed from the Open Meeting Portal.
The petition and related materials will be found on the Zoning Amendments web page.
Continued Volpe Working Group Meetings
The Volpe Working Group held its most recent meeting on Thursday, August 17, 2017. The purpose of the meeting was to continue discussing the MIT zoning petition.
The GSA announced that MIT has been selected as its exchange partner to construct the new Volpe Center and develop the remainder of the site. MIT held community meetings in February, 2017 to begin discussing its future planning process. Information from that process can be found at volpe.mit.edu.
Volpe Working Group Formed
As part of the City’s continuing effort to plan for the future redevelopment of the Volpe parcel, the City Manager has appointed a “Volpe Working Group” consisting of residents of the surrounding neighborhoods – East Cambridge, the Port, and Wellington-Harrington – along with representatives of the Kendall Square business community and other community stakeholders. The following members have been appointed:
- Peter Crawley (Resident: East Cambridge)
- Gerald O’Leary (Resident: East Cambridge/Kendall Square)
- Esther Hanig (Resident: Port/Area 4)
- Steven LaMaster (Resident: Wellington-Harrington)
- Chris Barr (Business: Biogen)
- Brian Dacey (Business: Kendall Square Assoc. and Cambridge Innovation Center)
- Kathy Born (Cambridge Redevelopment Authority)
- Hugh Russell (Planning Board)
CDD staff and consultants from Michael Dennis Associates, a planning and urban design firm, will be providing support to the group.
The purpose of this working group is to develop an urban design framework and planning principles to provide guidance to potential developers about the City’s priorities and expectations for the site. The group will focus on broad program parameters including urban form, public realm, and goals for the character of the area, and address issues including but not limited to the amount of and type of housing, including affordable housing, size and character of public open spaces, urban design principles, key connections through the site, retail, and ground floor activation. This work will build on the Kendall Square (“K2”) Planning Study, conducted in 2012‐2013, and the zoning discussions that occurred at the Cambridge Planning Board and City Council over the past two years.
The initial issues and recommendations raised by the Volpe Working Group will inform the City Council’s Ordinance Committee, and will precede a more detailed and focused planning and zoning process involving the Working Group, Ordinance Committee and Planning Board that would occur after the GSA has announced its selected development partner for the site.
Information and materials from past Volpe Working Group meetings can be found under the "Materials" tab.
Zoning Petition Hearings (2015)
A rezoning petition was submitted by the Planning Board and hearings were held between June and December, 2015. The most recent hearings were held on the following dates:
- Planning Board hearing: Tuesday, October 20, 2015, 7:00 P. M. at the City Hall Annex, 344 Broadway, Second Floor. (View CDD Update Memo)
- Ordinance Committee hearing: Thursday, November 12, 2015, 5:30 P. M. at City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Ave, Second Floor.
- Planning Board hearing (continued): Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 8:00 P. M. at the City Hall Annex, 344 Broadway, Second Floor.
- Ordinance Committee hearing (continued): Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 5:30 P. M. at City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Ave, Second Floor.
The following materials reflect the latest version of the zoning proposal with suggested modifications from CDD staff:
Original Petition Documents:
CDD conducted a series of conversations throughout the summer and into the fall to discuss the proposal and gather feedback. The outreach events that were held are listed below.
- Saturday, October 17th, 2015, 10:00 A. M. - 12:00 P. M. at the Kennedy-Longfellow School, 158 Spring St (Rescheduled from Monday, August 17th) - View Agenda
Previous Drop-In Conversations
- Thursday, July 30th, 2015, 5:00 P. M. to 7:00 P. M. at Windsor Street Health Center (119 Windsor Street)
- Wednesday, August 5th, 2015, 5:00 P. M. to 7:00 P. M. at Rogers Street Park (Rogers St / Third St)
- Wednesday, August 12th, 2015, 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P. M. at Lafayette Square (Mass Ave / Columbia St / Main St)
- Saturday, August 15th, 2015, 2:00 P. M. to 5:00 P. M. at Greene Rose Park (Harvard St / Moore St)
- Thursday, August 20th, 2015, 11:00 A. M. to 2:00 P. M. at Kendall Square Farmers’ Market (350 Kendall St)
- Saturday, September 12th, 2015, 12:00 P. M. to 3:00 P. M. at Clement Morgan Park (Columbia St / Washington St) – Participating as part of The Port, Community Pride Day event
- Friday, September 18, 2015, 9:00 A. M. to 4:00 P.M, "Park(ing) Day" at Broadway and Ames Street
Staff is happy to meet with community groups (residents, businesses, or other) who would like to talk about the rezoning proposal. Please contact us to arrange a visit! Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.