Burn Awareness Week - 2024
2/8/2024 • 1 week ago
Prevent Flammable Liquid Burns
On this Burn Awareness Week 2024 (and during every week of the year) take those extra precautions to prevent burn and scald injuries. Never get too lackadaisical or careless when using flammable liquids - whether for cooking, cleaning, or fueling the car or other machinery. Always respect flammable liquids and use proper precautions.
- Be especially careful when using cooking oils on the stove
- Keep a pan cover or baking sheet close by when cooking. It the fire flares up, slide the cover or baking sheet over the pan to snuff out the flame
- Always stay alert when handling hot liquids such as coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. Avoid that accidental scald injury
- Keep hot liquids out of reach of the kids and pets at all times
- Maintain that "No-Kid Zone" and "No-Pet Zone" around the stove and oven
- Ensure that our older folks are kept safe when near the stove or using flammable liquids
- Keep pot handles on the stove turned inward
- Use pot-holders to move or pick up a hot pan or other hot item. Avoid burned fingers or hands
- Ensure that the household hot water temperature is set at a safe level!
Always keep the kitchen safe! As we know, kids can move very quickly and get into trouble in seconds! Keep those curious pets away from flammable liquids, the stove and oven too,
For a burn injury, cool the burn area with cool water. For a serious burn, call 911 right away. Firefighter Medics & EMTs will quickly respond.
As always, for any emergency, call 911 from a safe area to get help on the way.
For more info, go to the MA Department of Fire Services Burn Prevention portal.
Go to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) site for more information.
Go to the American Burn Association site for additional burn prevention info.