Thanksgiving Fire Safety
Thanksgiving is the number one day for home fires in Massachusetts and cooking is the leading cause of these fires. See helpful safety tips below:
• Keep kids & pets at least three feet away from stove and oven.
• Keep cooking area clean and promptly clean grease or oil spills.
• Wear short or tight fitting sleeves / clothing when working at stove or near a flame.
• Always pay attention to cooking! “Stand by your pan!”
• If you do have a grease fire in a pan on the stove, “Put a lid on it” and turn off the heat.
• Ensure that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and that exits are clear.
Always be fire safe, but if your stove, oven, microwave, toaster, or other appliance fire is out of control – Alert Everyone, Get Out, Close the Door behind you, and Call 911 from a Safe Area!
For more information, visit the National Fire Protection Association's Webpage on Seasonal Fire Causes.