The Department of Traffic, Parking & Transportation oversees public parking and traffic operations in the city and actively promotes walking, bicycling and transit. TP&T's Parking Management division promulgates, signs and enforces parking regulations; installs and maintains parking meters; operates the City’s two parking garages; collects and adjudicates parking tickets; and operates the Resident Permit Program.
The Department's Street Management division maintains pavement markings, including crosswalks and bicycle lanes; operates of traffic signals; conducts traffic study reviews; and issues permits for street obstructions and street closings. TP&T also works closely with other City departments in planning, reviewing and developing proposals to improve the City’s infrastructure and encourage walking, bicycling and using transit.
The Department’s goals are:
- Increase the quality, efficiency and responsiveness of our operations.
- Increase the public safety of our transportation facilities.
- Support the mobility needs of the City’s residents, businesses, and institutions. Encourage and support non-auto modes of transportation.
- Mitigate climate change and support environmental sustainability. Encourage and support sustainable modes of transportation.
- Support neighborhood vitality and active, people-oriented places.
- Improve the quality of our services and maintain our facilities to the highest possible level. Provide excellent customer service.
- Use technology to provide quality information, operational transparency and easy to use services.
The Department’s services include:
- Managing on-street parking through the use of parking meters, resident permit parking, and regulating curbside activities.
- Enforcing those regulations.
- Collecting and adjudicating parking tickets.
- Control of traffic – vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians and transit – through signals, signs, and pavement markings.
- Operation of 2 parking garages and 9 lots.