Dept of Human Service Programs Celebrates Summer 2023 Programming
9/14/2023 • 2 months ago
This summer, staff in the Department of Human Service Programs (DHSP) engaged with thousands of children, youth, and families. Children in Kindergarten through 8th grade enjoyed crafts, drum circles, swimming lessons and more at Community Schools Summer Camps; 4-8th graders experienced empowerment and leadership building at Youth Center Pre-teen and Middle School Summer Programs; Cambridge youth learned athletic skills and competed in Recreation’s Summer Basketball Leagues; Camp Rainbow provided joy and exploration to Cambridge children with disabilities; hundreds of teens gained valuable, paid job experience through the Mayor’s Summer Youth Employment Program; and residents had fun while cooling off at Gold Star Pool.
Summer 2023 highlights:
- 32,000+ visits to Gold Star Pool this summer during open swim hours
- 900+ teen participants in the Mayor's Summer Youth Employment Program across 118 job sites in Cambridge and surrounding communities
- 782 children in Kindergarten through 8th grades attended Community Schools Summer Camps
- 384 young people, ages 8-19, played in one of Cambridge Recreation’s the 5 basketball leagues
- 276 pre-teens and middle schoolers participated in CYP summer programs at Youth Centers
- 24 children with disabilities attended Camp Rainbow
- 15 summer camps took swimming lessons at Gold Star Pool
Many of DHSP’s fall programs begin this month. We look forward to continuing to make connections with Cambridge children, youth, and families!
Photo: Youth in DHSP's Tobin Community School Summer Camp enjoy water play with staff. Photo credit: Kyle Klein