Engine 2

Engine 2 June 2018

Photo by jjg

2013 Pierce Saber, 1254 gpm, 500 gallon water tank

History of Engine # 2

Engine Company #2 was established in 1846 and was located in a wood fire house on Main Street. The company at this time was named Union Engine Company #2. In 1851, this fire house was destroyed by fire.

In 1852, Engine 2 occupied a new brick fire house at 789 Main Street, near the corner of Windsor. Union Engine Company 2 shared these quarters with Franklin Hook and Ladder Company #1.(This fire house is still standing and is the current home of the Christian Holiness Mission Church.) The company's apparatus was a Howard and Davis hand engine.

During 1863, the house was remodeled and horse stalls were installed. On 1 August 1863, Engine 2 placed into service an Amoskeag, horse-drawn, second size 400 gpm steamer. In 1872, the company received a new 4-wheel , horse-drawn, hose carriage which had been built by Jones Company. The hose carriage carried 1000 feet of hose. On 28 November 1873, a new Amoskeag 700 gpm steamer was placed in service and in 1892, an Abbot and Downing hose wagon was placed in service.

On 6 February 1894, Engine 2 moved into new quarters on Front Street opposite Main Street . (Front Street was later renamed Massachusetts Avenue.) Over a hundred years later, this is the current quarters of Engine 2 at 378 Massachusetts Avenue. In 1907, Engine 2 and Engine 6 swapped pumps. Engine 2 now was assigned an1891, Amoskeag 900 gpm steam pump.

In 1919, the company was motorized. The 1891 Amoskeag steamer was equipped with a type 31, American LaFrance tractor. A new American LaFrance type 40 hose wagon was placed in service as the wagon. A new American LaFrance 750 gpm pump was assigned to the company in 1926. In June of 1948, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service by Engine 2 and in July of 1948, a new GMC/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service. In July of 1951, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service and in July of 1966, a new International/Farrar hose wagon was placed in service.

Engine 2 placed a new Pirsch 1250 gpm pump in service on 26 July 1978. The company placed in service a new International/Maxim hose wagon on 23 July 1982. On 1 April 1984, Engine 2 became a single unit company as the wagon was reassigned to Engine 4. On 16 May 1986, a new International/Saulsbury hose wagon was assigned to Engine 2. On 12 May 1988, this wagon was reassigned to Engine 4. Engine 2 again became a single-unit company. On the 12th of August 1989, a new Pierce Lance 1250 gpm (with 500 gallon water tank) was placed in service by Engine 2. The 1978 pump was reassigned to Engine 8.

Currently, the company runs a 2013 Pierce Saber 1250 gpm pump with a 500 gallon water tank.

For questions about Engine Company # 2, email the Captain of Engine 2 Here:

Historical information provided by E. Morrissey

Engine #2 Statistics
Calendar Year Responses Building Fires
2017  3527 30
2016 3427 32
2015 3600 36
2014 3231 45
2013 2955 51
Fiscal Year Responses Building Fires
2012/2013 3011 38
2011/2012 2514 36
2010/2011 3016 41
2009/2010 3065 72
2008/2009 3009 35

Engine 2 February 23 2017

Engine 2 February 23, 2017