U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Contact Us / FAQs

The following will help you determine the appropriate contacts for all of your police-related questions. Can't find what you need? Please call the Cambridge Police Department's Non-Emergency number at 617-349-3300.

Who do I contact with...

Questions if I have been the victim of identity theft?

If you have been the victim of identity theft and want to report the crime or have general inquiries about cyber crimes, please call (617) 349-3300. You can also file a report in person by visiting the Cambridge Police Department, which is located at 125 6th Street in Cambridge. 

An emergency or crime in progress?

Please dial 9-1-1 in an emergency or to report a crime in progress.


Questions about the Office of Procedural Justice and how it proactively monitors data relating to police-citizen interactions for indications of possible racial profiling, racially-biased policing, or use of force incidents?

The Office of Procedural Justice is focused on proactively monitoring data relating to police-citizen interactions for indications of possible racial profiling and racially-biased policing (including use of force incidents) as well as assessing the Department’s compliance with statutes, ordinances, and regulations aimed at mandating accountability. To contact the Office, please email or call 617-349-9379. 

General questions and inquiries about the department, or to a report a non-emergency situation?

Contact the Cambridge Police Non-Emergency Number at 617-349-3300.

Questions about filing an accident report form?

Massachusetts law requires that you submit an accident report for any motor vehicle accident that results in injury to any involved party, or property damage in excess of $1000, within 5 days of the accident. Please note bicycle accidents can also apply to this law. Download the accident report here.

Questions/information about child safety seat installations?

To make arrangements to have your child safety seats checked for proper installation, please send an email and provide your contact information as well as dates and times that work best for you.  An officer will follow up to confirm your appointment.

Questions associated with marijuana use and sales in Massachusetts?

To review frequently asked questions about recreational marijuana and learn basic information about the Mass. recreational marijuana law, please visit the Cannabis Control Commission.

Questions/information about a sexual assault?

Contact the Cambridge Police Sexual Assault Hotline at 617-349-3381 for assistance. 

*This hotline is monitored Monday-Friday, and messages left during the weekend will be responded to by a detective.

Questions about a car that was towed?

Contact the Cambridge Police Department at 617-349-3300.  Please have the license plate number of the vehicle.

Crime tips and other information to be shared with police?

To share information anonymously:

  • Text Anonymous tips to Tip411 (847411).  Begin your message with Tip650 and then type your message.  You will receive a response from police asking if you wish to continue communicating.  Once you have submitted your tip and/or wish to end your conversation, simply text the word "STOP" and the communication will be terminated.
  • Call the Anonymous Crime/Drug Tip Hotline at 617-349-3359.
  • Send an Anonymous Email Tip.

Remember, you can always choose to remain anonymous when reporting crimes or information via 9-1-1 or when calling 617-349-3000 and asking to remain anonymous.



Questions regarding fingerprinting for gun permits, security clearances, etc.?

Contact the Records Unit by phone at 617-349-3336 or by email.


Questions about requesting a police report, letters of good conduct, or to apply for a license to carry or FID card?

Contact the Records Unit by phone at 617-349-3336 or by email.


Questions regarding public information, media requests, news releases, the daily public log, and other releases of information?

Contact the Public Information Office by phone at 617-349-3237 or by email.


Questions or for information regarding traffic enforcement?

Contact the Traffic Enforcement Unit by phone at 617-349-4365 or by email.


Where and when can I fly a drone?

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) provides a detailed overview of rules and FAQs for unmanned aircraft systems (aka drones). For the latest information, please visit https://www.faa.gov/uas/. 

Commendations of exceptional performance or to file a complaint against a police employee?

Contact the Professional Standards Unit at by phone 617-349-3384 or by email.

Information or requests for the Police Commissioner?

Contact the Office of the Commissioner by phone at 617-349-9397 or by email.



Questions/follow-up about an incident or case?

Contact the Criminal Investigations Unit at 617-349-3370.


Questions/information about programs and services available to youth and families?

Contact the Family and Social Justice Section by phone at 617-349-3342 or by email.

Questions/information about the department's training efforts?

Contact the Academy/Training Unit by phone at 617-349-3343 or by email.

Questions about assigning a Detail Officer to a construction project or other off-duty employment issues?

Contact the Detail Office by phone at 617-349-3350 or by email.

Questions regarding neighborhood issues, residential security surveys, self-defense courses, community meetings or other community policing initiatives?

Questions relating to crime patterns and trends, CPD's Annual Crime Report, or monthly BridgeStat releases?

Contact the Crime Analysis Unit by phone at 617-349-3390 or by email.


Questions regarding job inquiries or personnel and budget issues?

Contact the Office of Planning, Budget, and Personnel by phone at 617-349-3374 or by email.


Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc., click here