Engine 4

engine 4

2011 Pierce Saber Pump

Photo by jjg


History of Engine # 4

In 1846, Hand Engine 4, named "Hydrant 4," was established and was located in a wood building at Western Avenue and River Street. In 1852, the company, now equipped with a Hunneman engine, moved into a brick building at the same location. Due to the steam department and due to lack of manpower in 1866, the company was confined to police district station 2. On 7 March 1871 Hand Engine Company Number 4 was disbanded. It was the last hand engine company in the department.

Also on 7 March 1871, "Daniel Webster Engine Company #5" was renumbered to Engine 4. The company was located on Russell Street, North Cambridge in a building built and occupied on 28 May 1869. Engine 4 was equipped with an 1869 Hunneman Steamer and a 2 wheel hose wagon with 900' of hose. In January of 1896, Engine 4 received a new Amoskeag 550 gpm steamer. On 20 November of 1896, the company moved to new quarters at 2029 Massachusetts Av., the corner of Blake Street. A Somerville tapper was placed in service in this house and Engine 4 was also assigned to respond to Somerville line boxes.

On 14 December 1901, a new Abbot and Downing hose wagon was placed in service with 800' of hose. In July of 1917, Engine 4 became motorized when a new American LaFrance 750 gpm, triple combination pump was placed in service. Engine 4 became a single unit company. In 1922, another new American LaFrance 750 gpm triple combination pump was placed in service. The 1917 pump became a spare. On 1 September 1931, a new Mack hose wagon was placed in service, making Engine 4 a two piece company again.

In June of 1948 a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service. In July of 1948, a new GMC/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service. In July of 1967, a new International/Farrar wagon was placed in service. In January, 1972, a new Maxim 1250 gpm pump was placed in service. On 1 April 1984, a 1982 (former Engine 2) International/Maxim wagon was placed in service. On 12 May 1988, the 1986 (former Engine 2) International/Saulsbury wagon was placed in service. On 27 April 1995, a 1995 Pierce Saber 1250 gpm pump was placed in service. The wagon was placed out of service on 27 May 2000. Engine 4 became a single unit company at that time.  Engine 4’s current pump is a 2011 Pierce Saber, 1250 gallons per minute with a 500 gallon water tank. This pump, formerly Engine 2’s, was assigned to Engine 4 in 2013.

For questions about Engine Company #4, contact the captain of Engine 4 Here:

Historical information provided by Ed Morrissey

Engine # 4 Statistics
Calendar Year Responses Building Fires
2017  1614 15
2016 1511 17
2015 1543 21
2014 1469 23
2013 1385 28
Fiscal Year Responses Building Fires
2012/2013 1411 21
2011/2012 1121 14
2010/2011 1558 21
2009/2010 1529 31
2008/2009 1543 28