U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Help Cambridge Street Trees During Hotter Weather

caution sign The information on this page may be outdated as it was published 2 years ago.

Tree with gator bag

Cambridge street trees need your help getting enough water this Summer! During drought conditions like this, residents and businesses should help by watering the trees near their property. Smaller street trees need about 20 gallons of water per week with larger street trees needing even more. If you are able to help provide them with some of that, our urban forest would be grateful!

The green bags around the base of smaller street trees are called Gator Bags. These bags provide trees a slow release of water. If a tree has a Gator Bag please fill it 2-3 times a week. If a tree is small enough and needs a Gator Bag, residents can come to DPW at 147 Hampshire Street and get a Gator Bag from the front desk to attach to the tree to assist with the watering. Just fill with water using a garden hose or container, and walk away!

Tree Watering Tips:

  • If the tree has a Gator Bag, please fill it an additional 2-3 times a week, if possible
  • If the tree does not have a Gator Bag, water slowly at the base an additional 2-3 times a week, if possible.
  • If the soil is stiff please rake inside the tree well to break up the soil to allow the water to better penetrate the ground
  • REMEMBER- It's hard to over-water a street tree in the midst of drought conditions, so don't worry!

If you see a tree that may be in distress, please report it through SeeClickFix. Thanks for your support helping these trees beat the heat!

Page was posted on 7/20/2022 2:11 PM
Page was last modified on 7/25/2023 3:38 AM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc., click here