U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Hazardous waste being collected

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

Public Works

About Household Hazardous Waste Collection

The City of Cambridge holds four Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Days each year. They are for Cambridge residents only. You must bring proof of residency. If you have no proof of residency or are property managers bringing more than 25 pounds or 25 gallons from a Cambridge residential building, please email recycle@cambridgema.gov in advance. 

2024 HHW Collection Events

All events are from 9AM-1PM

Get Rid of It Right

To determine if an item in your household requires disposal at a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day, please use the "Get Rid of It Right" tool below. 

To go back to the main waste collections webpage, click here


Accepted Items

  • Batteries: Vehicle & Non-Alkaline
  • Car Fluids: Antifreeze, Brake, Engine Degreaser, Transmission
  • Car Tires (max four per household)
  • Chemicals: Cleaners, Glues, Removers, Photography & Swimming Pool
  • Fluorescent Light Bulbs
  • Mercury Items: Thermometers & Thermostats
  • Paints: Oil-Based & Latex
  • Poisons: Insecticides, Pesticides & Weed Killers
  • Prescription Medicines (also accepted year-round at Police Dept. 125 Sixth St)
  • Propane Cylinders (20 lbs. or less only)
  • Waste Fuels: Antifreeze, Gasoline, Kerosene, Sterno & Motor Oil
  • Fire Extinguishers 

Items NOT Accepted

  • NO Alkaline Batteries (Trash)
  • NO Ammunition, Fireworks & Explosives (call Police Explosive Ordinance Unit at 617-349-3300)
  • NO Asbestos (requires proper disposal)
  • NO Bleach or Ammonia
  • NO Commercial/Industrial Waste
  • NO Construction Debris
  • NO Empty Aerosol Cans
  • NO Compressed Gas Cylinders
  • NO Infectious or Biological Waste
  • NO Radioactive Waste
  • NO Smoke Detectors (Trash)
  • NO Syringes (call Health Department at 617-665-3848)

Can't Make the Next Collection?

  • The Recycling Center accepts non-alkaline batteries, fluorescent bulbs, mercury items and motor oil.
  • Cans of latex paint may be dried out and set out for curbside trash collection, with the lids off. Let evaporate outside or add kitty litter to speed drying
  • Ask a neighbor to bring your items to the collection.
  • Bring items to Clean Harbors in Braintree, (781) 380-7100, 1 Hill Ave (off Quincy Ave). Small fee per pound. Saturday mornings from May-October. Call for details.

Items also accepted elsewhere in Cambridge

Recycling Center (Open: Tuesdays and Thursdays 4PM-7:30PM, Saturdays 9AM-4PM) accepts:

  • Non-alkaline batteries,
  • Fluorescent bulbs,
  • Mercury items
  • Motor oil

Dried LATEX paint can go in the trash IF it is

  • Dried out (To dry out: open the can until it evaporates or use a drying agent or kitty litter.)
  • Lids are off
  • Placed next to your trash at the curb

Prescription medications are accepted year-round at Police Dept. 125 Sixth St.  

Page was posted on 11/14/2019 1:54 PM
Page was last modified on 6/26/2024 3:53 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.