U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Large TV on a sidewalk

Furniture, Appliance, Large Item Disposal

Public Works

Get Rid of It Right

Large appliances, electronics and other bulky waste may be disposed of curbside, however, many items require a disposal permit. Please use the "Get Rid of It Right" tool to determine if you need a permit for your item or to learn other ways to dispose of the item properly. See below for applying for a permit. 

NOTE: Mattresses require a permit for disposal (but it’s free), but must be scheduled separately. Visit cambridgema.gov/mattress to schedule your free mattress or box spring collection.

Apply for a permit using the online service below

Additional Information

Most items are scheduled for Wednesdays or Thursdays. Place items curbside by 7AM on your collection day, or after 6PM the night before. No commercial or industrial items.

How can residents purchase a permit?

  1. Submitting the Online Appliance/Large Item Disposal Permit application.  
  2. In person at 147 Hampshire Street during business hours (Monday: 8:30am-8pm, Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30am-5pm, or Friday: 8:30am-12pm). Payments in person can be made by check, money order, cash or credit card;

What appliances or large items require a permit?

The following items require a permit and payment of a fee:

  • Air Conditioners*
  • Clothes Washers & Dryers
  • Copiers & Printers (More than 40 lbs)
  • Dehumidifiers*
  • Refrigerators* & Freezers* (must remove doors, non-commercial)
  • Stoves
  • TVs & Computer Monitors (Over 20" diagonal screen length)
  • Trash Compactors
  • Water Coolers & Heaters
  • Larger Exercise equipment (motorized)

*Freon (chlorofluorocarbons) is removed from air conditioners, dehumidifiers, freezers, and refrigerators in order to meet the Clean Air Act. All appliances are then sent to a local scrap metal recycling facility.

The following items require a permit for pick up, but do not require payment:

  • Exercise Equipment (small) & Bicycles
  • Lawnmowers
  • Radiators
  • Snow Blowers
  • Metal Filing Cabinets & Desks
  • Mattresses (free, but must be scheduled at CambridgeMA.Gov/Mattress

Are there any large or bulky items that do not require a permit?

  • Carpet or lumber (residential only, up to 3 tied bundles, 3' x 3' x 1')
  • Electronics (microwaves, stereos, box fans, small printer or fax machine)
  • Furniture (couches, tables). Residents are allowed to put one piece of furniture out per week on trash day, but there are some exceptions. Please use the Get Rid of It Right tool to ensure proper disposal. 
  • Toilet or Sink (one per household on collection day)
  • Small TVs & computer monitors (20" or less diagonal screen length). Place small TVs / monitors close to curb edge by 7am on your regular collection day.
  • You may include the hard drive, keyboard, mouse and small printer or fax machine.
Page was posted on 11/14/2019 1:54 PM
Page was last modified on 7/17/2024 5:15 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.