Permits and Maintenance

Different agencies play different roles in the operation and management of public parks. This list of resources is meant to help direct community members to the appropriate agencies for different types of questions, requests or reports.

Some agency web sites also have online forms for reporting issues or submitting requests.


Open Space Responsibilities

Division of Parks and Urban Forestry
Department of Public Works
617/349-4885 (Parks Division)
617/349-4800 (Main Office - 24 hour)
617/349-4805 (TTY)
Maintenance in city-owned parks and playgrounds
Report damage or vandalism in parks
Questions about playground equipment or water play
Reserving parks for special events (non-athletic)
Recreation Division
Department of Human Service Programs
617/349-4895 (Danehy Park)
617/349-6282 (Golf Course)
617/349-6238 (Athletic Field Permits)
617/349-6200 (Main Office)
Permits to reserve athletic fields
Danehy Park recreation area
Thomas P. O'Neill, Jr. Golf Course (Fresh Pond)
Youth centers
Cambridge Water Department
Fresh Pond Reservation
Cambridge Conservation Commission
Applying for community garden space
Environmental permitting
Cambridge Electrical Department
Report issues with lighting in city parks, streets and sidewalks
Cambridge Arts Council
Questions about public art installations
Report vandalism or graffiti on public art
Street performer permits
Department of Conservation and Recreation
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
State-owned parks, including:
Charles River Reservation
Alewife Reservation
Blair Pond
McCrehan Memorial Pool
Longfellow National Historic Site
National Park Service
Questions about Longfellow House structure and grounds, located at 105 Brattle Street