Reports & Presentations
The following statistical profiles summarize a variety of information about Cambridge. these are a good starting point to begin learn about the numbers that describe the city.
Statistical Profile of Cambridge
This document includes 62 pages of statistical tables and charts covering wide range of topics, including general demographics, income, labor force and employment, transportation, land use and housing. The Profile can serve as both a general introduction to the make up of the City’s population and as a reference document. Updated in June 2011.
A publication of the Cambridge Public Health Department, the Community Health Assessment report provides a broad overview of data related to the health needs of the community.
The Housing Market Information packet provides information about the housing stock, including condominiums and affordable units, vacancy rates, market rate housing sales costs, condominium conversions, private market rents, foreclosures, mortgages, and affordability. Last updated in 2016.
A resource guide for businesses featuring location, demographic, workforce and commercial information to assist with locating your business in Cambridge.
Moving Forward: Journey to Work Trends in the City of Cambridge, Massachusetts, analyses American Community Survey data on commuting, which has been collected in the Census Transportation Planning Package (CTPP). The report summarizes the commuting patterns among three groups of workers:
- The Workforce, all those who work in Cambridge regardless of place of residence;
- The Labor Force, all those Cambridge residents who work regardless of place of work; and
- The Resident Labor Force, those who both reside in and work in Cambridge.
The report is based on data collected into the 2006 – 2010 CTPP data set, the most recent complete analysis of the national transportation data collected by the U. S. Census Bureau. Comparative information is also provided from the 1990 and 2000 Journey to Work data sets. Updated in 2016.
Published by the Traffic, Parking and Transportation Department, this document reviews recent trends that point the way toward increased use of sustainable modes of transportation with in Cambridge.
The Neighborhood profile includes a three page summary for each of Cambridge's thirteen neighborhoods as well as a summary of the City's population. There is also a series of twelve comparison tables, allowing easy comparison of information from the 1980, 1990, and 2000 Decennial Census both within and across neighborhoods. Each comparison table also includes information from either the 2010 Decennial Census or 2010-14 American Community Survey, depending on the topic. Periodic updates are planned to incorporate more current information from the American Community Survey. The 2004 version of the profile included additional topic tables and can be found here.
Community Development staff members present demographics and socioeconomic data to various groups around the City. Presentations include analysis and updated information not available elsewhere. Note that statistics found in these presentations may be superseded by updated data sets posted elsewhere on the demographics pages. If you are interested in having a demographic presentation for your group, please refer to the contact information at the bottom of this page
- Cambridge Demographic Update - Reviews 2012 - 2016 ACS, 2010 Census, School Department and other data, emphasizing the diversity of the population of Cambridge. Also information on household makeup, education, income distribution, poverty, and market rate rental costs - June 2018
- Ethiopians in Cambridge - Presentation to the Community Engagement Team conference on providing services to the Ethiopian community of Cambridge - February 2018
- Community Benefits Committee - Augments several slides from the Cambridge Demographic Update with more extensive information about the prevalence of poverty and includes tables from the Cambridge Needs Assessment report - July 2017.
- City Employee Brownbag - Emphasizes the diversity of the population of Cambridge. Also information on household makeup, migration, education, income distribution, poverty, and market rate rental costs - May 2016
- Poverty in Cambridge - A presentation to the Cambridge Affordable Housing Trust. Reviews poverty and income related population with a focus on non-students and various socioeconomic factors - May 2014
- Elder Housing Trends Presentation to the Cambridge Silver Ribbon Committee - March 2011
- American Community Survey and Cambridge Demographic Update - April 2009. reviews strengths, weaknesses, and issues associated with use of American Community Survey data from the Census Bureau.
For More Information
For more information about socioeconomic and demographic statistics about Cambridge, please contact Cliff Cook, email@example.com, Senior Planning Information Manager, at 617/349-4656.