What We Do
The Housing Division works to promote and maintain the socioeconomic diversity of the city by managing and implementing the City’s efforts to meet the housing needs of low-, and moderate-, and middle-income residents, and develops initiatives to preserve and expand the City's stock of affordable rental and homeownership housing.
We offer access to affordable rental and homeownership units created through City programs. We work with the Cambridge Affordable Housing Trust, non-profit housing providers, and the Cambridge Housing Authority to acquire, build and preserve affordable housing. We work with private developers and owners to offer access to affordable units created by the City's Inclusionary Zoning Ordinance. We offer First Time Homebuyer Classes, pre-purchase counseling, and financial assistance for new homebuyers, and manage the City's stock of more than 500 affordable homeownership units. We work with non-profits to offer low-interest loans to assist owners in making necessary home repairs and improvements.
To Learn More about Affordable Housing in Cambridge
- UPDATE: While offices are closed due to the City’s response to the COVID-19 crisis, CDD’s Housing Division is continuing to work with applicants looking for affordable rental and homeownership housing. Click here to read a news item on Housing Division operations during the office closures.
- UPDATE: Click here to view the City's COVID-19 Information webpage to access additional housing resources during this public health crisis.
- Search this web site by selecting one of the sections below. There are pages of information on this website, including program guidelines, application forms, Frequently Asked Questions, contact names, and more.
- Attend one of the information sessions about the city's rental and homeownership programs. Upcoming information session dates will be posted as soon as they are available.
- If you have additional questions please click on this email address firstname.lastname@example.org and send your questions to the Housing Division. Or you may call the Housing Division at 617/349-4622.