U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Work and Family Mobility Act

You can view a fact sheet in the following languages:

Englishعربي (arabic) | 简体中文 (Chinese)| Español (Spanish) | Kreyòl Ayisyen (Haitian Creole) | Português (Portuguese) | Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese) | Français (French) | русский (Russian) | Kriolu (Cape Verdean Creole)

For more information, call (857) 368-9362. This phone line has Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Haitian Creole, and Vietnamese services.

On July 1, 2023, The Work and Family Mobility Act went into effect. Undocumented residents of Massachusetts can now apply for a driver’s license. This change is for Class D and M licenses. A Class D license allows you to drive a passenger vehicle, van, or small truck. A Class M license allows you to drive a motorcycle. The licenses are valid for 5 years. The licenses will look like any other licenses, so there will be no way to tell what documents were used to get the license. The RMV's policy is to not share information with immigration authorities. There are also extra regulations from the Attorney General's Office that:

  • forbid the RMV from providing information to immigration authorities.
  • establish that any documents and information that you give the RMV are not public record.

The requirements to get a license include:

Being over 16 years of age

  • Passing a learners permit written exam
  • Passing a road test
  • Having documentation proving state residency and identity

There are 2 categories of documents needed.

The first documents prove identity and date of birth. You will need one document from list A and one document from list B.

List A: 

  • Foreign passport that is not expired.
  • Consular identification document that is not expired.

List B:

  • Foreign national ID card that is not expired.
  • Foreign birth certificate that is original or certified.
  • Driver’s license from any US state or territory that is not expired.
  • Foreign driver’s license that is not expired.
  • Marriage certificate or divorce decree issued by a US state or territory.

You will also need one of the documents below document that proves you live in Massachusetts:

  • A Massachusetts RMV- issued document. 
  • Letter from a state/federal/municipal/city/town/county agency. 
  • Utility bill, credit card statement, medical/hospital statement, or cellphone bill.
  • Current lease/mortgage or similar rental contract.
  • Financial-related documents including pay stub, W-2 wage, and tax information.
  • School-issued documents including letter from school, transcript, proof of enrollment. 
  • Car insurance, renter’s insurance, or homeowner’s insurance policy for the current year.

Click here for more detailed document information.

Documents must be originals. They cannot be copies or digital versions. Any documents not in English should come with a certified English translation. See Mass.Gov/WFMA for more information.

Below are the steps for applying for a license:

  1. Schedule an appointment. 
    • Schedule a Class D learner’s permit exam at your local RMV beginning July 1st, 2023. You can register for an appointment online at Mass.Gov/myRMVYou must make an appointment in advance.
  2.  Go to your local RMV for your appointment and learner’s permit exam. The test will have questions about driving laws and safe driving practices. A learner’s permit allows you practice driving to prepare for your road test.
    • For the learner’s permit appointment, customers can bring their interpreter. Interpretation services will also be available if needed.
    •  There is a $30 application fee.
    • The RMV is translating documents like the Driver’s Manual, ID Checklist and Road Test Checklist in to 15 languages. These include Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Haitian Creole, French, Vietnamese, Russian, Arabic, Khmer, Cape Verdean Creole, Hindi, Korean, Tagalog, and Pashto. 
    • The exam is available in 35 languages. To pass, you must finish in 25 minutes and have at least 18 correct answers out of 25. 
    • You may take the exam online, in which case you will be responsible for printing your permit. 
    • Click here to download and study the Class D driver’s manual.
    • Click here to practice the learner’s permit exam
  3. Take and pass a road test to get your driver’s license.
    •  There is a $35 fee.
    • If you are under 18 years of age, you must meet all junior operator requirements.
    • If you need an interpreter, you can bring your own or request that the RMV provide one.
    • You need to bring a licensed driver that meets all requirements found at Mass.Gov/guides/road-test-information

Have questions? Visit the mass.gov page with frequently asked questions.


Page was posted on 7/13/2023 11:14 AM
Page was last modified on 7/25/2023 4:09 AM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via Commonwealth Connect for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc., click here