U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Veterans Services

Photo of veterans conversing

The Department of Veterans’ Services (DVS) serves as an advocate for all Cambridge veterans and their dependents. DVS advises clients as to the availability of benefits, services, and provides financial assistance to those veterans/dependents who are in need. The department assists veterans and their families in processing applications for federal Veterans’ Affairs claims for pensions, disability and death benefits, burial plots, grave markers, home loans, educational benefits, medical services, and life insurance benefits. 

Tips and FAQs

What Paperwork will I need when Applying for Chapter 115 benefits?

  • Copy of Veteran's discharge papers (DD 214);
  • Marriage certificate if filing for benefits with spouse. Widow will need marriage certificate and death certificate when applying; you must have been married at the time of Veteran's death;
  • Birth certificates for all dependent children, and proof of adoption for non- biological children;
  • Proof of all forms of income, SS, SSI, SSDI, pensions, VA compensation, VA disability, private pensions; ANY income made by those applying must be reported. Copies of last three bank statements (checking, savings), 401k, CDs, stocks, bonds, annuities, and any other liquid assets;
  • Do you own more than one vehicle?
  • Shelter expense, which means a copy of a lease if renting, stating how much rent you pay monthly or a mortgage statement.
  • If mortgage is paid off, veterans are still eligible for reimbursement for homeowner’s insurance annual premium, property tax bill, recent water and sewer bills. If paying for heat, provide past heating bills.
  • If employed, submit copies of last four pay stubs;
  • If unemployment has expired, proof from State that benefits have expired. Provide names of employers over last two years and reason why no longer employed. If you apply and are denied supply proof from office with reason why.
  • Copy of life insurance policy with name of company and policy number, copy of medical insurance coverage, Medicare for example. If you have supplemental insurance, provide a copy of monthly premium stating how much you pay.
  • Self employed applicants must provide tax documents for last two years.

Am I a Veteran?

The Massachusetts definition of a veteran is: 180 days of active duty or 90 days of active duty 1 of which is war time. Active duty for training does not count as active duty.

Can you help me file a Disability Claim with the VA?

Yes. Cambridge Veterans’ Services can help you file a claim with the VA. Navigating the VA system can be difficult, we’re here to help.

How can I obtain a copy of my DD214?

Cambridge Veterans’ Services has access to the Massachusetts Military Records Database and can look up a DD214/discharge record if the Veteran enlisted in the military while living in Massachusetts. If a record isn’t in the database, Veterans’ Services can assist in completing a request for records from the National Archives in St. Louis, Missouri.

What is Aid and Attendance?

Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension. Please visit the Veterans' Service office for assistance with the Aid and Attendance application process.

What other phone numbers can I use for help?

VA Numbers
  • VA Healthcare Boston: (800) 865-3384 (follow the prompts)
  • VA Health Care Benefits: (877) 222-VETS (877-222-8387)
  • VA Benefits: (800) 827-1000 For information about: Education, Home Loan, Disability, Medical Care, Burial, Life Insurance and Sexual Trauma
  • VA Caregiver Support Line: (855) 260-3274 (are you caring for a veteran at home?)
  • VA Life Insurance: (800) 669-8477 
  • VA Education (GI Bill): (888) 442-4551 
  • VA Income Verification and Means Testing: (800) 929-8387 
  • VA Gulf War/Agent Orange Helpline: (800) 749-8387 
  • TBI Helpline (traumatic brain injury): (888) VET-1TBI (888-838-1824) 
  • VA Status of Headstones and Markers: (800)-697-6947 
  • VA Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): (800) 829-4833 
  • Social Security: (800) 772-1213 
  • Medicare: (800) 638-6833 
  • The White House: (202) 456-1414 
  • Unites States Senate: (202) 224-3121 
  • United States Congress: (202) 225-3121

Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.