Order a Certified Copy of a Marriage Certificate

City Clerk's Office

How to Start

You may request a copy of your marriage certificate in person, online or by mail:

In Person

City Clerk’s Office
Cambridge City Hall
795 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 103
Cambridge, MA 02139

Monday: 8:30am-8pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30am-5pm
Friday: 8:30am-12pm


If you are not certain that the marriage certificate is located at the Cambridge City Clerk's office, please call 617-349-4260 prior to placing your order.

NOTE: When using E-Check, the request will take 10 business days to process.

Order a certified copy online.

Genealogy research may not be requested online or by e-mail. Please contact 617-349-4260 to inquire about our search fees.

Please note the fee to use a credit/debit card is 2.95% of the transaction ($1.95 minimum fee per transaction) and the fee to use an E-Check is $0.40.

By Mail

Download the Marriage Certificate Mail-in Request Form

State Registry of Vital Records

150 Mt. Vernon Street
1st Floor
Dorchester, MA 02125-3105
(617) 740-2600 or (617) 740-2606

Visit the State Registry of Vital Records website. 

Please note that the Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records follows a different fee schedule than the City of Cambridge.  


Assuming the license was issued by the City of Cambridge, you may request a certified copy of a marriage certificate in person at the City Clerk's Office, online or through the mail.

In Cambridge, the cost for a certified copy is $10.

Please note that a certified copy of a birth certificate is valid for all legal purposes.


Usually identification is not necessary; however, in certain circumstances it is required. For example, if the parents of Party A or Party B were unmarried at the time of birth, the marriage record is only available to the Party A or B.

If you are ordering a non-public record by mail or online you must provide a photocopy or scan/photo of a picture I.D.

Page was last modified on 2/4/2020 11:03 AM
Provide Feedback

Got feedback?

Please provide your feedback below: