Apply for a Marriage License

City Clerk's Office

To apply for a marriage license, you must come into the City Clerk's Office with your intended spouse. This process cannot be completed through the mail.

A license will be issued three days after you apply in person. It can be picked up by either applicant at the Clerk's Office. Please note that the license will be valid for 60 days from date of application and may be used in any Massachusetts city or town (not valid outside of Massachusetts).

The cost to apply for a marriage license is $35.

Tips and FAQs

Do we have to be Cambridge residents in order to apply in Cambridge?

No, according to Massachusetts State Law there is no residency requirement for either party.

How can we schedule a wedding ceremony at City Hall?

To schedule a marriage ceremony at Cambridge City Hall, please call the City Clerk's office at 617-349-4260. You may also schedule a marriage ceremony in person if you are filing your marriage intention in Cambridge.

Please note: Marriage ceremonies performed by the Cambridge City Clerk's Office are by appointment only; there is a 10-guest limit. Additionally, we cannot guarantee the Sullivan Chamber or any other rooms in City Hall as these rooms are, first and foremost, reserved for meetings.

What documentation is required to apply for a Marriage License?

There is no documentation required for a Marriage License. Both parties will have to be present at the time of filing the application.

What if we have waited too long to apply for our license and our wedding is scheduled less than three days from the date of the license application?

You must go to court and obtain a court order to waive the three-day waiting period. You may go to the Middlesex Probate and Family Court, 208 Cambridge Street, 2nd floor, Cambridge, MA. ($215.00).

How can I apply for a one day designation certificate?

From the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: 

A one-time designation certificate allows an individual to officiate a marriage ceremony on a specific date. The application must be approved by the Governor's office before the Secretary's office can issue the certificate. The application is valid only for ceremonies within Massachusetts, and by a person who is not otherwise authorized to officiate a marriage ceremony.

Apply for a one day designation certificate through the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

What if one or both of us is under 18?

You must go to court and obtain a court order (permission) to marry.

Page was last modified on 2/4/2020 11:20 AM
Provide Feedback

Got feedback?

Please provide your feedback below: