U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Hero Photo

Register a Short-Term Rental

Inspectional Services

New State law requires registration of short-term rentals and payment of State excise tax. Learn more

How to Start


Short-term rental (STR) refers to the rental of any dwelling unit or bedroom as a residential accommodation for a duration of less than 30 consecutive days. Short-term rentals are allowed within certain parameters, and there are rules and regulations you must follow to legally rent out your residence on a short-term basis. See Section 4.60 of the Cambridge Zoning Ordinance.

Click here to start a short-term rental application »


The operator of a short-term rental must meet all of the following criteria in order to be eligible:

  • The operator must be an owner of the dwelling unit, or a tenant of the dwelling unit (with permission of the owner and, in the case of a condominium unit, the additional permission of the condominium association) to offer a unit or room for short-term rental.
  • The operator must live in the STR unit as a primary residence and may rent out up to a maximum of three legal bedrooms, called operator-occupied short-term rental;
    AND/OR, the operator must live in a unit adjacent to the STR unit as a primary residence and own all the other units in a building which can only contain a maximum of four(4) residential dwelling units or less. An owner-adjacent short-term rental may only be rented as a whole unit, not as individual bedrooms.

Please refer to the Short-Term Rental Options document for an illustrated explanation of the distinction between an Operator-Occupied and Owner-Adjacent short-term rental unit.

Other eligibility requirements apply; refer to Section 4.60 of the Cambridge Zoning Ordinance.

Additional Information

A list of registered short-term rentals are available for public viewing on the City’s Open Data Portal.

To lodge a complaint about a specific property, please use See Click Fix reporting website

Page was last modified on 7/24/2023 8:10 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.