Residential Exemption


The application for the Residential Exemption must be filed no later than April 1st of the fiscal year. If you recently purchased a Cambridge property and inherited a Residential Exemption from the previous owner, you must qualify as the new owner in order to continue to receive the exemption in the next fiscal year. Please complete the Residential Exemption form to apply.

The residential exemption uses January 1st for determining the ownership and occupancy requirements for the fiscal year.

• FY22-January 1, 2021

Please use this link to fill out the Residential Exemption application.  If you do not already have a Viewpoint account with the City of Cambridge, you will need to create one for the application. 

The application requires that you fill it out completely by following the steps in the online portal to submit the application.  Once the application is completed, you will receive an email notifying you that your application has been successfully submitted to the Assessing Department.  Additionally, the applicant will be able to view the steps in the review process for their residential exemption application as it is evaluated by the Assessing department.

The application is due no later than April 1 to determine if you qualify for the Residential Exemption.  If you would prefer to receive a paper residential exemption application or have any questions, please contact the Assessing Department at 617-349-4343.


Page was last modified on 5/10/2021 2:13 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via Commonwealth Connect for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.