American Flag

Veterans' State Annuity Benefit

Veterans Services

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Department of Veterans’ Services provide an annuity in the amount of $2000 to 100% service-connected disabled veterans. This annuity is payable biannually on August 1st and February 1st in two installments of $1000 each. It is granted to 100% service-connected disabled veterans, to the surviving parents (Gold Star Parents) and the un-remarried spouses (Gold Star Wives or Husbands) of certain deceased veterans who gave their lives in the service of their country during wartime. Each has a separate application form.

Eligibility for Annuity Benefit by Veteran

An applicant veteran who satisfies the following prerequisites shall be eligible to receive a special benefit payment of $2000 in the form of an annuity:
  • Meets one of the service time requirements set forth in M.G.L. ch. 115, s.6A, 6B, and 6C;
  • Has received an honorable discharge from military service;
  • Any person who served on active duty in the armed forces of the United States for a period of at least 180 days and whose last discharge was under honorable conditions and continues to be a resident of the Commonwealth;
  • Meets the requirements for blindness, paraplegia, double amputation or other disability set forth in M.G.L. ch. 115, s.6B and is so certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Proof of service and disability shall be furnished to the Secretary of DVS as per M.G.L. ch. 115, s.6CH.

Application Procedure for Annuity Benefit by Surviving Parents or Un-remarried Spouse

The annuity applicant must be a resident of the Commonwealth at the time of filing and also continue to reside in Massachusetts. Payments shall be due and payable from the date of the application. To receive the annuity, the applicant must complete the application, submit a copy of discharge (DD Form 214), a recent VA award letter, and a W-9 form (for address verification). Applications may be obtained by visiting Veterans’ Services or by visiting
Page was last modified on 2/4/2020 11:20 AM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via Commonwealth Connect for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc., click here