U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Amusement Rides

Apply for an Amusement License

License Commission

One Day Amusement Licenses are issued by the Cambridge License Commission pursuant to and in accordance with Massachusetts General Law c. 140, § 177A. The approval process varies and can take between four weeks and two months depending on where the event will occur, and the size and complexity of the event.

How to Start

Step 1:

If the event is to be held on public property, the applicant must submit a letter of intent to the City Manager’s Office describing the event including: date, duration, size, and location. The applicant will then meet with the City’s Special Events Committee at least one month prior to the event (longer if holding the event for the first time in Cambridge) to discuss the logistics of the event and to clarify what additional permits and licenses will be needed.

Step 2:

EVENT PREMISE: If the event is to be held on private property, the applicant must obtain a letter of permission from the owner of the premises.  The letter should clearly state the date, duration, size, and reason(s) for the event. This letter of permission needs to be submitted to the License Commission at least two weeks prior to the event.

Step 3:

Once the meeting has occurred with the Special Events Committee, or a letter of permission is obtained from the event premises, the applicant must then:

  • contact immediate neighbors and neighborhood associations and notify them of the upcoming event;
  • acquire an insurance policy of at least $1 million listing the City of Cambridge as beneficiary (for amusement rides only); and
  • provide current state inspection certificates for all mechanical rides.

The Applicant must then complete a One Day Amusement Application and submit it to the License Commission. On the application the applicant will provide a complete list of rides and the name, address and telephone number of the companies providing each ride.

Additional Information

Information about holding a special event in Cambridge is available on the Public Works Special Events FAQ page or contact the License Commission office at License@cambridgema.gov, or by calling 617-349-6140. Companies not previously licensed in Cambridge must first attend a hearing and receive the Commission’s permission to operate amusements.

Page was last modified on 7/24/2023 8:12 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.