U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Apply for A Personal Exemption


The laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts provide for real estate tax relief for certain people.   Each category of tax relief is defined, and the allowable amount stated, in the various clauses of Chapter 59, Section 5 of the General Laws occupied properties.

How to Start

In order to apply for an Personal Exemption.

  1. Download an exemption application.
  2. Fill out the exemption application and return with the following documentations
    1. Elderly Exemptions (41C & 17D): 
      1. Birth Certificate for first time filling
      2. A copy of your 2015 Federal Income Tax return
    2. Veterans:
      1. Award Letter from the VA
    3. Extreme Hardship:
      1. A copy of your 2015 Federal Income Tax return
      2. A letter explaining why you’re in financial hardship
    4. CPA Low/Income:
      1. A copy of your 2015 Federal & State Income Tax returns
    5. 41A Tax Deferral:
      1. Birth Certificate for first time filling
      2. Tax Deferral and Recovery Agreement
      3. A copy of your 2015 Federal Income Tax return

For the Trust ownership copy of a recorded trust instrument, including amendments and copy of the schedule of beneficiaries.


  • You must satisfy test relating to age, domicile, ownership, occupancy, annual income and assets. You must meet all eligibility requirements as of July 1 of the tax year.
  • If you own the property with someone who is not your spouse (for example, your children, siblings or other relatives,) then each of the co-owners must also satisfy the annual income and asset test. See tax exemption and deferral in Useful Documents for more information regarding age, income and assets requirements.
Page was last modified on 7/24/2023 8:11 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.