U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Obtain an Athletic Field Permit

Human Service Programs

Permits are required for use of any City of Cambridge athletic field. Fields can be used for a variety of athletic activities, and non-athletic activity requests will also be considered. Priority is given to Cambridge youth organizations and City-sponsored programs.

Athletic Field Permit requests are accepted:

  • Beginning February 1st for Spring and Summer field requests
  • Beginning July 1st for Fall field requests
Fields are closed to athletic use during the winter months, November 20 – March 20.

How to Start

  1. Fill out the Athletic Field Permit Request Form
  2. Submit your completed permit request form to Tom Cusick, Recreation Activities Coordinator, one of the following ways:
    • By email: tcusick@cambridgema.gov
    • By mail or in-person drop off:
      Department of Human Service Programs
      Attn: Tom Cusick / Recreation
      51 Inman Street, 3rd Fl, Cambridge, MA 02138
  3. You will receive a response to your permit request within 2 business days.
  4. If you have questions about the permit application process, contact Tom Cusick at 617-349-6238 or tcusick@cambridgema.gov


  • The permit fee for adult-use of athletic fields is $120.00 per 2-hour increment.
  • Priority is given to Cambridge youth organizations and City-sponsored programs.
  • Permitees must abide by the City of Cambridge Parks and Public Area Policy.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens during inclement weather?

Cambridge Recreation staff determine playability of all fields during inclement weather. To confirm field conditions and cancellations at Danehy Park or St. Peters Field, call (617) 349-4895. For all other locations, call (617) 349-6238.

How do I host an event at a City park?

Cambridge residents may host events in City parks, plazas, streets or sidewalks with a permit. The type of permit and steps you must take depend on what type of event you intend to host. Click here to learn more.

Can I play music?

Yes. If you plan to play music with an amplified sound device, you must obtain an entertainment license from the Cambridge License Commission prior to use.

Can I reserve a Basketball Court or Tennis Court?

Court reservations are limited to City sponsored events, programs, and leagues. Basketball and tennis courts operate on a first arrival basis. All courts must change on the hour if other players are waiting to use them.

Page was posted on 1/31/2022 9:55 AM
Page was last modified on 4/17/2024 9:07 AM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.