U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Apply for Fuel Assistance

Human Service Programs

The Fuel Assistance Program, also known as the Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), helps low-income households pay their winter heating bills between November 1 and April 30. Renters and homeowners in Cambridge and Somerville are eligible to apply if they meet federal income guidelines. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.

The application period for the 2023-2024 Fuel Assistance Program is closed. If you applied by the May 10 deadline and you still need to upload documentation, please click here to submit documents through the state’s online Client Portal. You will be prompted to login in the top left corner of the portal. 

Applications for the 2024-2025 Fuel Assistance Program will be accepted beginning in October 2024.

During the application window, residents can submit their application the following ways:

  • Through the state's online application portal 
  • By mail to: Fuel Assistance c/o Dept of Human Service Programs, 51 Inman St. Cambridge, MA 02139
  • By email  to dhspfuel@cambridgema.gov
  • By drop off at the Fuel Assistance office (51 Inman St., Basement Level, Cambridge, MA 02139) or in the Fuel Assistance dropbox located outside of the Basement Level entrance of 51 Inman St. on Inman Place. 

To check the status of your application, speak with Fuel Assistance staff, or report a no-heat situation, call 617-665-6234.

Eligible applicants in no-heat situations or who are facing immediate utility shutoff can receive fuel assistance within 24 hours.


Multilingual Fuel Assistance Information

የክረምት ማሞቂያ ክፍያዎችን ለመክፈል እገዛ ያግኙ (Amharic)

حصل على مساعدة في سداد فواتير التدفئة في الشتاء (Arabic)

শীতকালীন গরম করার বিল পরিশোধ করতে আপনার কি সাহায্যের প্রয়োজন আছে (Bengali)

获得帮助来支付您的冬季取暖费用 (Chinese)

Jwenn èd pou peye bòdwo chofaj ou yo pandan ivè a (Haitian Creole)

Obtenga ayuda para pagar sus facturas de calefacción durante el invierno (Spanish)

Receba ajuda para pagar as contas de aquecimento no inverno (Portuguese)

How to Start

  • Clients who previously participated in the Fuel Assistance program were mailed applications and directions for how to re-apply. Returning applicants will use the PIN number on the application they received in the mail to start their application.
  • Complete your application. Options for submitting your application are outlined below.


  • Eligibility for the program is based on Federal Poverty guidelines and your recent 4 week gross income.
  • Applicants must fill out supporting documents, available under “Useful Documents and Resources”
  • Phone and in-person application assistance is available upon request. Call 617-665-6234 to make an appointment with Fuel Assistance staff.
  • Please note: Households that include non-citizens may be eligible for fuel assistance benefits if the non-citizens are “Qualified Aliens” or if at least one member of the household is a United States citizen (which may include a child born in the US). Green cards (INS Form I-551) are one of the documents that establish “Qualified Alien” status for a member of the household.

Additional Information

Options for Submitting Your Fuel Assistance Application and Supporting Documents: 

  1. Upload your application and supporting documents through the Fuel Assistance online portal. You will receive a confirmation email and be prompted to schedule a phone call with Fuel Assistance staff to review your eligibility and finalize your application.
  2. Email them as attachments to dhspfuel@cambridgema.gov
  3.  Mail them to Fuel Assistance c/o Department of Human Service Programs, 51 Inman St. Cambridge, MA 02139
  4. Drop them in the Fuel Assistance Mailbox, located next to 51 Inman's Basement Level entrance (on Inman Place) 

Our staff can assist applicants who are homebound in providing these documents. If you need assistance, please call 617-665-6234.


Frequently Asked Questions

What other energy assistance programs are available?

Your Fuel Assistance Application can be a one-stop application for other local and state programs, services, and referrals. Fuel Assistance staff will connect you with other energy programs you are eligible, including the programs below. If you have questions about these programs, call Fuel Assistance staff at 617-665-6234 or email dhspfuel@cambridgema.gov.

Discount Programs

You may be eligible for discounts on your gas and electric bills. The discounts range from 10-36% on distribution charges. Some utilities require that the name on the bill is the same as the Head of Household on your fuel assistance application.

Weatherization Services

Through our Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), licensed contractors evaluate your home safety and health and provide eligible homes with improved insulation, air sealing, and other preventative measures at no cost.

Heating System Repair and Replacement (HEARTWAP) Program

The State's Heating Repair and replacement (HEATWAP) Program provides homeowners and some tenants with repairs and replacement of heaters. Though the program is primarily run as an emergency-based program, the program will also clean and tune or replace poor or inoperable heaters. In combination with the Fuel Assistance Program,  Appliance Management Program, and the Weatherization Assistance Program, you can have peace of mind when it comes to your home and wallet.

If a boiler or furnace replacement is needed, proof of homeownership is required. The homeowner must sign an agreement allowing the heating system to be evaluated and, where warranted, repairs or replacement to be conducted. Eligible households with a "No Heat" situation are given first priority. Households with elderly or disabled residents or with children six years of age or younger, are given additional priority.

Appliance Management Program (AMP)

Through energy audits, the Appliance Management Program can replace certain appliances that are inoperable or inefficient, like refrigerators, freezers, window air conditioners, washing machines, and dehumidifiers. Note: Certain criteria must be met for each appliance in order to provide a replacement.

You are eligible for this program is you receive Fuel Assistance or have a utility discount rate with either National Grid or Eversource Electric. If you receive a utility discount rate, a copy of a current utility bill showing the discount rate may be necessary. 

Moderate Income Verification Program

Available to residents who are not eligible for Fuel Assistance because they are over the income requirements. The program offers a no-cost Home Energy Assessment from Mass Save and energy-saving products like LED light bulbs, wireless thermostats and advanced power strips. It also provides expert recommendations on additional ways to save energy and access rebates for services like Insulation and Air Sealing.

Cambridge Energy Alliance

Cambridge has lots of energy programs to help homeowners and renters access comfort, savings and help combat climate change. To learn more about home or small business no-cost energy assessments, multi-family energy efficiency or clean heating and cooling programs, rooftop solar or community solar, and Cambridge’s Community Electricity Program, visit cambridgeenergyalliance.org or call All in Energy at 617-430-6230.

Questions about your Utility Bill?

The City of Cambridge partners with local nonprofit All In Energy to help residents understand their utility bills and energy-saving options. Contact the City’s Utility Bill Helpline with All In Energy at 617-430-6230 or cambridgehelp@allinenergy.org for assistance.

Page was last modified on 5/13/2024 4:43 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.