U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Outdoor dinning

Alcohol License

License Commission

There are two major categories for annual alcohol licenses: retail on-premise consumption (G. L. c. 138, § 12) and retail off-premise consumption (G. L. c. 138, § 15).  Annual alcohol licenses have to be approved first by the Board of License Commissioners and then by the State's Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission.  Therefore, the process for a new or transfer of an alcohol license can take a minimum of eight weeks.

Types of On-Premise Consumption Alcohol Licenses:

            All Alcohol Beverages with Common Victualler

            General on Premise All Alcohol Beverages

            Malt Beverages with Common Victualler

            General on Premise Malt Beverages

            Malt and Wine Beverages with Common Victualler

            General on Premise Malt and Wine Beverages

            Malt, Wine and Liqueurs with Common Victualler

            General on Premise Malt, Wine and Liqueurs

Types of Off-Premise Consumption Alcohol Licenses:

            All Alcohol Beverages

            Malt & Wine Beverages

Any individual or any corporation, LLC or partnership which meets the statutory criteria set forth in G. L. c. 138 may apply for an annual liquor license.  License applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and may be granted if all statutory, state, local and legal requirements are met. 

NOTE:  All applications for a new or transfer of a liquor license must also be filed online with City of Cambridge and on paper with the State Alcohol Beverages Control Commission. Two copies of the the ABCC retail application must be submitted to the City of Cambridge License Commission and we will forward it to the state if approved by the board. Please visit the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission (ABCC) Website to complete the application and for additional information. If seeking an Entertainment License, you should do so simultaneously with the Alcohol License to be heard during the same public hearing.  Please email License@cambridgema.gov or contact us at 617-349-6140 to obtain additional forms and instructions on how to file.

ADVERTISEMENT- Notice to Abutters


Page was last modified on 4/16/2024 4:04 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.