U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Voter Registration

Election Commission

You may register or pre-register to vote in Cambridge if you are a US citizen, a resident of Cambridge, and at least 16 years old; and not currently incarcerated by reason of a felony conviction. You can register:

Online - In order to register to vote online, you must have a signature on file with the Registry of Motor Vehicles. If you currently have a Massachusetts driver's license or state ID card, you may use the online voter registration application to register, update your address, or change your party affiliation.

In Person - At the Election Commission Office 51 Inman St., Cambridge during regular and special office hours. 

By Mail-in Registration Form - Download the form from the Secretary of State's website at http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleifv/howreg.htm.

Complete and sign form and mail to: Cambridge Election Commission, 51 Inman St., Cambridge, MA 02139.

To request a Registration form via mail, call 1-800-462-vote or 617-727-2828.

Who may register or pre-register to vote in Cambridge?

You may register or pre-register to vote in Cambridge if you are a US citizen, a resident of Cambridge, and at least 16 years old; and not currently incarcerated by reason of a felony conviction.

Is there a deadline to register?

One may register to vote at any time. However, the deadline to register for any given election is 10 days prior to that election.

Can I register for a friend, family member, or another individual?

No, this is prohibited under state law.

Is identification required to register to vote?

When you register, you must include your driver’s license number or the last 4 digits of your social security number on the application. If the information cannot be verified or you do not provide this information, you must provide identification at your polling location when you go to vote. Sufficient identification includes a copy of current and valid photo identification, current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document showing your name and address.

How can I get a letter verifying that I am a registered voter?

Voter registration letters or cards are not necessary for voting purposes. However, you may go to the Election Commission office and make a request for a letter verifying that you are a registered voter.

What is my polling location?

Your polling location is where you vote. You can look this up at http://www.wheredoivotema.com and you can view a map of all polling locations here.


How do I stay on the voting list?

Answering the city census each year ensures that your name will remain on the voting list once you have registered. Massachusetts state law does not require that you vote in order to keep your name on the voting list.

If you are moving to another city or town, you must re-register to vote in your new city or town to remain a voter. If you are moving within the City of Cambridge, send signed correspondence to the Commission stating your new address along with your former address. You may also send a signed letter the Commission if your name changes and you wish to change it for the voting list, or you wish to change your political party. Mail-in or online registration forms may also be used to inform the Commission of the new address, party, or name. 

How can my group or organization request voter registration forms in bulk?

Call the Elections Division at 1-800-462-VOTE or 617-727-2828
Page was posted on 5/8/2018 6:07 PM
Page was last modified on 7/24/2023 8:08 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.