U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

One-on-One Tech Help (Central Square Branch)


Central Square Branch
45 Pearl St.
Cambridge, MA 02139

Get directions


Calendar event image

Looking for some basic computer or mobile device guidance? Want to learn how to access audiobooks and eBooks? Stop by at the Central Square Branch for our drop-in hours! A laptop will be available for use during the session. 


We can help you with: 

  • Setting up e-mail accounts and learning how to use e-mail
  • Searching for resources online 
  • Smartphone and mobile app questions 
  • Accessing library eBooks, audiobooks, and other eResources 


We are not able to help you with: 

  • Installing advanced software programs 
  • Completing online transactions for you
  • Computer hardware and technical maintenance 


If you have any questions, please contact syasuda@cambridgema.gov



The City of Cambridge does not discriminate, including on the basis of disability. We may provide auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures to people with disabilities. For more information contact us at library@cambridgema.gov, 617-349-4032 (voice), or via relay at 711.

Page was posted on 8/18/2023 10:33 AM
Page was last modified on 9/18/2023 10:05 AM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via Commonwealth Connect for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.