U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Information on Recent COVID-19 Cases & Trends in Cambridge

caution sign The information on this page may be outdated as it was published 2 years ago.

COVID-19 trends in Massachusetts and in Cambridge have been moving in the right direction since the peak of the Omicron surge in January. Recently, Cambridge has seen a small uptick in COVID-19 cases. A review of these cases indicates that this uptick is attributable to cases affiliated with institutions of higher education in the city. While cases in the community have been decreasing steadily, higher ed cases have been increasing. From Monday - Wednesday of this week, for example, of the cases reported to the Cambridge Public Health Department (CPHD), only 18% were cases in the broader community, with the other 82% of cases being reported by the universities in Cambridge. CPHD and the City are working with our university and other community partners to continue monitoring trends.

Cambridge saw the peak in positive cases on January 8, 2022, and regional hospitalizations peaked in mid-January. Since then, COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations have decreased dramatically, as have viral loads in wastewater. Over the past few weeks, hospitalizations dropped by more than half in Massachusetts with significant declines in hospitalizations across all age groups. With fewer people seriously ill with COVID, the pressure on our health care systems is finally easing.

Page was posted on 3/3/2022 4:49 PM
Page was last modified on 7/25/2023 12:32 AM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc., click here