U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Apply for a Street Occupancy Permit

Traffic, Parking, and Transportation

We offer different types of Street Occupancy Permits, which allow you to reserve space on the street for various reasons. You may apply for each of these permits online. If you need in-person assistance, including to make a payment by cash or check, contact us.

If you are looking for a parking permit for a car, go to our Parking Permit webpage


  • Contractors may park vehicles with Massachusetts commercial license plates in Permit Parking Only areas for up to three consecutive days without a permit. This allows residents to get emergency repairs done quickly (e.g., repair a broken toilet or heating system). A Visitor Parking Permit is not required.
  • Non-Resident Parking Permits are available for people who regularly provides services to Cambridge residents at their homes (e.g., healthcare or childcare providers)

Types of Street Occupancy Permits

Use the links below to get more detailed information about how to apply for each type of Street Occupancy Permit.

Block Party Permit

A block party is a community event hosted on a neighborhood street by a group of neighbors, a non-profit organization, or an association. During a block party, the City closes the block to through traffic.

Block Party Application

Dumpster Permit

A Dumpster Permit allows you to reserve curb space for the purpose of temporarily placing a dumpster on a City street for moving debris or garbage from a construction site. Dumpster permits are issued for a maximum of two spaces.

Dumpster Application


A Funeral/Wake Parking Permit is for funeral homes to reserve parking spaces to provide on-street parking for wake and funeral service attendees.

Funeral/Wake Application

Moving Container or Crate

A Moving Container/Crate Permit allows you to reserve curb space for the purpose of placing a crate or container on a City street while moving goods in or out of a building. These permits are issued for three consecutive days.

Container/Crate Application

Moving Van

A Moving Van Permit allows you to reserve curb space for the purpose of parking a vehicle on a City street while moving goods in or out of a building. Moving Van Permits can be issued for a maximum of two consecutive days.

Moving Van Application

Tool Truck

A Tool Truck Permit reserves space for a specified length of time to park contractor’s vehicles while doing construction in Cambridge. Permits can only be posted in front of your work area and cannot be posted in front of neighboring residences, in spaces reserved for persons with disabilities, across driveways, within ten feet of a fire hydrant or locations posted no parking or no stopping.

Tool Truck Application

Traffic Clearance

A Traffic Clearance Permit temporarily restricts parking for a specified length of time to provide the proper space needed for the turning radius of construction vehicles accessing a job site. This permit is also issued to provide space for re-routing traffic from a travel lane and into a parking lane associated with large construction jobs.

Traffic Clearance Application

Traffic Special Event

The Traffic Special Event Permit is reserved for the following events: Parking for a Festival, Parade, Processional, Public Safety Events, Road Race, University Events including Move-in/move-out, Walkathons, and other large events. This permit only covers the use of the street, permits from other departments may be required depending on the type of event.

Traffic Special Event Application


The Other Street Occupancy Parking Permit type allows companies/organizations to reserve curb space for the purpose of parking their service vehicle on a City street.

Other Permit Application
Page was posted on 7/20/2021 4:04 PM
Page was last modified on 4/10/2024 9:59 AM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.