U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Used car lot

Apply for a Used Car Dealer Class I, II, III Licenses

License Commission

Used Car Dealer Licenses are issued pursuant to Massachusetts General Law c. 140, §§ 57-59.

There are three different types of car dealer licenses:

  • Class I for new car dealers,
  • Class II for used car dealers, and
  • Class III for junk / salvage car dealers.

Click here for the Massachusetts General Law description of the license classes.

Please note that if applying for a Class II used car dealer license you will need a surety bond in the amount of $25,000 or a certificate of deposit or irrevocable letter of credit, as authorized by the State of Massachusetts.

A Dealer's Guide to: The MA Used Vehicle Warranty Law

How to Start

Step 1:

Applicant must complete the Used Care Dealer's Application online

Step 2:

The application will be reviewed by the License Commission for Completeness and Inspectional Services will review for an applicable zoning requirements. 

NO ADVERTISEMENT - Notice to Abutters

Step 3:

The application will be set for a hearing date. New applicants will be required to attend a hearing before the Board of License Commissioners. 

Step 4:

If approved, Fee will be due. 

Step 5: 

Once approved and after providing any further required documentation, the annual fee must be paid for the license to be issued.


Be prepared to provide the following attachments as part of your application:

  • Floor plan (may be hand drawn) on 8 ½” X 11” size paper only, showing the proposed capacities, and layout of the premises;
  • Business Certificate, either:
    • Stamped Articles of Organization, if a Corporation. LLC Agreement if a Limited Liability Company. Partnership Agreement if a Partnership; or
    • A Business Certificate or D/B/A certificate from the City Clerk’s Office, first floor of City Hall (617-349-4260).
  • A signed lease or a letter of intent.
  • Criminal Record Information Form(s) for the owner(s) of the business, manager and each employee;
  • If have employees, proof of Worker’s Compensation;


  • Hearing Fee: $100.00
  • CORI Fee: $10.00 per CORI
  • Annual License and Renewal Fee: $100.00

Page was last modified on 4/16/2024 4:32 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.