Apply for a Business Certificate

City Clerk's Office

A business certificate must be filed for any person, partnership, or corporation conducting business in Cambridge under a name other than their own. The form must be signed before a Notary Public and returned by mail to:

City Clerk's Office
795 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139

Business certificates are valid for four years and must be renewed at the City Clerk's Office.

The cost to file is $50.00.

For additional questions related to your Business Certificate, please contact the Clerk’s at 617-349-4260 or

How to Start

Complete the following forms:
  1. A completed business certification form

(These forms can also be found at the City Clerk's Office)

If you have the document notarized, it may be mailed to the City Clerk's Office, along with a check for $50.

You may also submit your application to the City Clerk's office. The document will be notarized and you may purchase certified copies.



  1. A completed business certification form
  2. One type of picture identification.
Page was last modified on 3/25/2021 2:45 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via Commonwealth Connect for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.