Apply for Fuel Assistance

Human Service Programs

Serving both the cities of Cambridge and Somerville, the Fuel Assistance Program assists low-income households with winter heating costs between November 1 and April 30. Renters and homeowners in both cities are eligible to apply if they meet federal income guidelines.

The deadline to apply for Fuel Assistance in 2021-2022 was May 13, 2022. Information about applying for Fuel Assistance in 2022-2023 will be posted in October 2022.

How to Start

  • Clients who previously participated in the Fuel Assistance program were mailed applications to re-apply.
  • New applicants will be prompted to create an account and will receive a verification code via email from to activate your account and start your application. Be sure to check your junk mail folder in addition to your inbox.
  • Returning applicants will use the PIN number on the application they received in the mail to start their application
  • Fill out your application


  • Eligibility for the program is based on Federal Poverty guidelines and your recent 4 week gross income.
  • Applicants must fill out supporting documents, available under “Useful Documents and Resources”
  • Phone and in-person application assistance is available upon request. Call 617-665-6234 to make an appointment with Fuel Assistance staff.
  • Please note: Households that include non-citizens may be eligible for fuel assistance benefits if the non-citizens are “Qualified Aliens” or if at least one member of the household is a United States citizen (which may include a child born in the US). Green cards (INS Form I-551) are one of the documents that establish “Qualified Alien” status for a member of the household.

Additional Information

After you have completed filling out your application and the supporting forms:

  1. Submit documents in ONE of the following ways:
    •  Upload them through the online portal (this is not required for submitting your application online)
    •  Email them as attachments to
    •  Mail them to Fuel Assistance c/o Department of Human Service Programs, 51 Inman St. Cambridge, MA 02139
    •  Drop them in the Fuel Assistance Mail Box located on Inman Place by the 51 Inman building’s wheelchair access ramp
    Special arrangements can be made to assist homebound applicants in providing these documents.

  2. Submit your online application.
    You will receive a confirmation email and be prompted to schedule a phone call with Fuel Assistance staff to review your eligibility and finalize your application.
    •  English and Spanish-speaking intake workers are available to assist applicants. Additional multilingual services can be provided upon request.

Frequently Asked Questions

What other energy assistance programs are available?

Your Fuel Assistance Application can be a one-stop application for other local and state programs, services, and referrals. Fuel Assistance staff will connect you with other energy programs you are eligible, including the programs below. If you have questions about these programs, call Fuel Assistance staff at 617-655-6234 or email

Discount Programs

You may be eligible for discounts on your gas and electric bills. The discounts range from 10-36% on distribution charges. Some utilities require that the name on the bill is the same as the Head of Household on your fuel assistance application.

Weatherization Services

Through our Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), licensed contractors evaluate your home safety and health and provide eligible homes with improved insulation, air sealing, and other preventative measures at no cost.

Heating System Repair and Replacement (HEARTWAP) Program

The State's Heating Repair and replacement (HEATWAP) Program provides homeowners and some tenants with repairs and replacement of heaters. Though the program is primarily run as an emergency-based program, the program will also clean and tune or replace poor or inoperable heaters. In combination with the Fuel Assistance Program,  Appliance Management Program, and the Weatherization Assistance Program, you can have peace of mind when it comes to your home and wallet.

If a boiler or furnace replacement is needed, proof of homeownership is required. The homeowner must sign an agreement allowing the heating system to be evalutated and, where warranted, repairs or replacement to be conducted. Eligible households witth a "No Heat" situation are given first priority. Households with elderly or disabled residents or with children six years of age or younger, are given additional priority.

Appliance Management Program (AMP)

Through energy audits,the Appliance Management Program can replace certain appliances that are inoperable or inefficient, like refrigerators, freezers, window air conditioners, washing machines, and dehumidifiers. Note: Certain criteria must be met for each appliance in order to provide a replacement.

You are eligible for this program is you receive Fuel Assistance or have a utiity discount rate with either National Grid or Eversource Electric. If you recieve a utility discount rate, a copy of a current utility bill showing the discount rate may be necessary. 

Moderate Income Verification Program

Available to residents who are not eligible for Fuel Assistance because they are over the income requirements. The program offers a no-cost Home Energy Assessment from Mass Save and energy-saving products like LED light bulbs, wireless thermostats and advanced power strips. It also provides expert recommendations on additional ways to save energy and access rebates for services like Insulation and Air Sealing.

Cambridge Energy Alliance

Cambridge has lots of energy programs to help homeowners and renters access comfort, savings and help combat climate change. To learn more about home or small business no-cost energy assessments, multi-family energy efficiency or clean heating and cooling programs, rooftop solar or community solar, and Cambridge’s Community Electricity Program, visit or call All in Energy at 617-430-6230.

Questions about your Utility Bill?

The City of Cambridge partners with local nonprofit All In Energy to help residents understand their utility bills and energy-saving options. Contact the City’s Utility Bill Helpline with All In Energy at 617-430-6230 or for assistance.

Page was last modified on 5/19/2022 8:48 AM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via Commonwealth Connect for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.