U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Consumers' Council

Photo of central Sq

The Consumers' Council works in cooperation with the Massachusetts Attorney General to investigate complaints and resolve disputes that arise between consumers and businesses. The Council provides resources, support and education on consumer matters. Council staff is watchful of any trends in the marketplace and serves as an informed voice offering suggestions for new or amended legislation that would provide consumer protection for the citizenry.

To reach the Consumers' Council Consumer Information and Public Assistance Hotline, call 617.349.6150. The hotline is staffed Monday from 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Cambridge serves a diverse community with varying needs. The Cambridge Resources Story Map is an interactive list of some of the services available to Cambridge residents.



 Test your knowledge and take a quiz on consumer rights.
Consumer Quiz              Quiz Answers


Tips and FAQs

When is the Next Free Document Shredding Event

There are two free Document Shredding Events in 2024:

Free Document Shredding Event (rain or shine)
Saturday, May 18, 2024, 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
In front of Cambridge Senior Center, 806 Mass. Ave.
Safely dispose of unwanted documents
For Cambridge Residents Only

Free Document Shredding Event (rain or shine)
Saturday, September 21, 2024, 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
In front of Cambridge Senior Center, 806 Mass. Ave.
Safely dispose of unwanted documents
For Cambridge Residents Only

What types of complaints does the Consumers' Council receive?

Some of our common complaints concern:

  • Advertising/Telemarketing
  • Auto Repair, Sales and Leasing
  • Cable and Satellite Services
  • Credit Cards
  • Debt Collection
  • Banking and Mortgages
  • Fitness/Health Clubs
  • Home Improvement Contractors
  • Landlord/Tenant Issues
  • Travel Agencies/Airlines
  • Retail Sales (Store, Internet and Mail Order)
  • Dating Services
  • Moving and Storage
  • Telecommunications
  • Utilities



Who can file a complaint with the Consumers' Council?

The Consumers' Council serves all residents of Cambridge, Somerville, Waltham, Watertown, Arlington and Belmont regardless of where a business is located. The Consumers' Council also accepts complaints from individuals who have conducted a transaction with a business located in those cities and towns regardless of where the individual lives.

Attention is given to the elderly, people with disabilities, those with language barriers, and all others without regard to income.

How do I file a complaint with the Consumers' Council?

When a consumer feels that they have been a victim of improper business practices and, after they have attempted to resolve the dispute on their own, a complaint can be filed the following ways.

1 - A complaint can be filed on-line directly with the Attorney General's Office at this link:Consumer Complaint.

2 - Consumers can pick up a complaint form at the Consumers' Council Office.

3 - A Complaint form can be mailed to you.

      Please keep in mind the following before returning the complaint form to our office:

  1. Include your most recent mailing address and a phone number where you can be reached during the day.
  2. Ensure to state both the problem you are having with a business and the specific action you are seeking.
  3. When describing your complaint, attempt to establish a timeline that includes important dates and events. For example, include date of purchase, date of cancellation or date of repair.
  4. Be sure to attach copies of any contracts, work orders, repair orders, bills, receipts, advertisements or any other documentation that you reference in your complaint.  PLEASE DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS!
  5. Please be sure to sign your complaint form!


What happens after I file a complaint?

The Consumers' Council is staffed with Information Specialists who will review your complaint to determine whether it is appropriate for intervention. If your complaint is not appropriate for intervention, you may be referred to another government agency or resource for assistance.

If the complaint is one with which we may be able to assist you, a Consumer Advocate will contact you before they attempt to contact the business. At that time, we may request more information or further documentation to assist in the process.

If our  efforts are not successful, you will be offered guidance on other ways you can resolve your dispute.

Regardless of the outcome,the complaint will be on record with the Attorney General's Office

Can the staff of the Consumers' Council provide me with legal advice?

The Consumers' Council cannot provide legal advice to consumers.  If you have questions concerning the specific application or interpretation of the law, we will suggest that you consult a private attorney.  If you do not have an attorney we will provide you information to assist you in finding one.

Why are some North Cambridge Residents experiencing radio interference?

  • Radio antennas are controlled and regulated solely by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).  Any complaint regarding a radio antenna should be filed with the FCC online, by phone, fax or mail: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/; phone: 1-888-225-5322; fax: 1-866-418-0232: or mail: 445 12th Street SW, Washington, DC 20554.  Make sure to include as much detail about the complaint as possible, including the location of the source. 

  • WNTN Radio Station’s antenna located on the Cambridge Self-Storage site in North Cambridge was approved by the FCC for an increase in radio signal which may be causing residents to experience interference on land lines, cordless phones and computers.  Residents are encouraged to call WNTN at 781-559-3270 to report the issue.  It has been reported that upon receipt of the complaint, WNTN is taking steps to resolve the issue in a timely manner. 

How can I Opt Out of junk mail and phone books

To stop receiving junk mail  go to this link: Opt Out.  To stop Verizon Yellow Pages phone book deliveries you can use this link Opt Out, or call  1-877-2-GET-DEX.

How can I find out how efficiently a charity will use my donation to fund the programs I want to support?

Take a look at Charity Watch to get information on top charities and charity ratings

What are the most common questions about the new credit law?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) answers some questions about the new credit law and credit freezes.

How can I freeze my credit?

This article details how to freeze Credit .Security Freeze

How do I get a free credit report?

The three nationwide credit reporting companies have set up a central website, a toll-free telephone number, and a mailing address through which you can order your free annual report.

To order, visit annualcreditreport.com, call 1-877-322-8228. Or complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281. Do not contact the three nationwide credit reporting companies individually. They are providing free annual credit reports only through annualcreditreport.com

1-877-322-8228 or mailing to Annual Credit Report Request Service.

What is the cost of filing a Small Claims Court case?

Consumers may sue businesses that may have engaged in unfair or deceptive acts or practices against them. For claims of actual damages under $7,000, a consumer may file a legal action in the Small Claims session of the District Court, Boston Municipal Court, or if the claim involves housing issues, in the housing court Small Claims session.

The filing fee for small claims $500 and under is $40. 

The filing fee for claims of $501 to $2000 is $50. 

The filing fee for claims of $2001 to $5000 is $100. 

The filing fee for claims of $5001 to $7000 is $150. 

The filing fee for claims of property damage of more than $7000 arising from an automobile accident is $150. 

You will pay the filing fee to the court when you file your Small Claim. Attorneys are not always needed in Small Claims Court, but you are permitted to hire an attorney if you wish. In a Small Claims proceeding, the case may be resolved by a mediator, or if not, a trial will be held before a magistrate.

How long should I keep sensitive documents?


What locations have Public Internet access?

There are Public Internet Access Points throughout the City. This is a map of the Cambridge Access Points.  Please note that this is a public connection and is not a secured link to the internet.

Is Xfinity the only cable television provider in Cambridge?

Yes. Currently Xfinity, formerly Comcast, is the cable service provider for the City of Cambridge. The contract is valid until 2021.

Does Xfinity offer a senior citizen discount?

Xfinity does offer a 10% discount for senior citizen heads of household who are Medicaid or SSI eligible or are receiving Massachusetts fuel assistance.

. Go to this link for the form Senior discount form

Internship Opportunities

The Consumers’ Council offers three (3) internships per year—one during the fall semester, one during the spring semester and one during the summer.

Internship Description

Position Title: Investigator/Consumer Advocate

Hours Per Week: Flexible; At least two (2) full days of work are required.

Minimum Requirements: Currently enrolled in an Undergraduate or Juris Doctor Program

Position Specifics: The Investigator/Consumer Advocate position is designed to assist the Council in both investigating and negotiating consumer complaints for residents of the Cities of Cambridge, Somerville , Waltham, Watertown and the towns of Arlington and Belmont. Interns typically carry an average caseload of 20-25 complaints. Interns will also be expected to respond to telephone, email and walk-in inquiries concerning consumer rights as well as providing appropriate resources and referrals to other state and federal agencies. Interns typically assist the Executive Director/Consumer Information Specialist in researching current consumer issues, policies and other government responses associated with the current economic climate. Interns are regularly asked to conduct legal research throughout the investigation of cases. Finally, interns should become familiar with the Massachusetts’ Consumer Protection Act (M.G.L. Chapter 93a), which will greatly assist them within the investigation process; however, no prior knowledge is required, but is desirable.

Location/Transportation: The Consumers’ Council is located in Central Square adjacent to Cambridge City Hall. Our office is located in the John Lombardi Municipal Building on the first floor. If you are taking the T, we are located about 5 minutes from the Central Square stop on the Redline.

Work Environment: Office environment with fluorescent light, air conditioning, computers and other standard office equipment.

Please submit resume and letter of interest to:

Laura M. Nichols, Cambridge Consumers’ Council, 831 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 or via email to consumer@cambridgema.gov.

Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis. If you are applying through an internship program at a college or university, please submit a copy of program requirements with your application.

Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.