U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Dispute a Parking Ticket

Traffic, Parking, and Transportation

If you believe you received a parking ticket in error, you can dispute it. Please note: you must pay or dispute your parking ticket within 21 days to avoid late penalties. 

Related Information

The Dispute Process 

1. Submit the Dispute

  • You must submit your dispute online or in writing. Scroll down to "Ways to Submit a Dispute" for information on how to dispute your parking ticket.
  • After you submit your dispute, our Hearing Officer will review the information you provide and mail a decision to you.
  • If your ticket is dismissed, the process is complete.
  • If your ticket is not dismissed, you may pay the ticket or request a hearing. Instructions on scheduling a hearing will be included in your dispute denial letter.

2. Hearing

  • All hearings must be requested and scheduled in advance. During the hearing you will meet with the Hearing Officer. The Parking Control Officer who wrote the ticket will not be present. You will have the opportunity to:
    • Explain the reason you feel the ticket was issued in error,
    • Provide details of any extenuating circumstances, and
    • Provide any documentation or evidence that supports your claim.
  • If your ticket is dismissed, the process is complete.
  • If your ticket is not dismissed, you may pay the ticket or appeal the ticket through the Middlesex County Superior Court, 200 Trade Center, Woburn, MA. There is a $275.00 filing fee.

Ways to Submit a Dispute

Submit a Dispute Online

Note: You may not use the online dispute form if you have already paid your ticket. Instead, you may submit your dispute by email or mail.

To submit an online dispute to a parking ticket, must provide:

  • an email address,
  • a phone number,
  • the ticket number, 
  • the license plate (vehicle registration) number,
  • your name and address, and
  • the reason for the dispute.

More information

  • You will have the opportunity to upload two supporting documents.
  • When entering your ticket number, do not include spaces or hyphens.

Submit your dispute via the online dispute form.

Submit a Dispute by Email or Mail

Use the online dispute form if possible. This ensures that your request goes directly into our dispute queue for review. Disputes sent via email or mail require additional time for processing.

To submit a dispute via mail or email, you must include:

  • your name and address;
  • contact information, an email address and/or a phone number;
  • the ticket number;
  • the license plate (vehicle registration) number; 
  • the reason for the dispute 

Email your dispute to tpt@cambridgema.gov; or mail or deliver your dispute to:

Attn: Hearing Officer
Traffic Parking & Transportation Department
City of Cambridge
344 Broadway
Cambridge, MA 02139

Page was posted on 8/2/2023 4:48 PM
Page was last modified on 1/22/2024 6:30 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.