Park at Rivercourt along Esplanade

Parks & Open Space

Community Development

The City of Cambridge has over 70 parks and open spaces, with all residences located a half-mile or less from open space. Several City departments collaborate on the planning, construction, and maintenance of Cambridge's parks, playgrounds, and open spaces to ensure that they are safe, engaging, and enjoyable for adults and children of all ages and abilities. 

Tips and FAQs

I would like to reserve park space for an event. What permits do I need?

Permits must be obtained in order to reserve a field for athletic use or to reserve park space for an event (like a child's birthday party).

Athletic Use

To reserve space at Danehy Park or other athletic fields, fill out an Athletic Field Permit and return it to the Recreation Division of the Department of Human Services Programs. 

Event Use

To reserve space at Danehy Park, fill out an Athletic Field Permit and return it to the Recreation Division of the Department of Human Services Programs. Contact Tom Cusick with any questions: 617/349-6238.

To reserve a non-athletic park (excluding Danehy Park) for an event, contact the Parks Division of the Department of Public Works at 617/349-4885 or or the Special Events Coordinator at 617/349-9498 or

For additional information about park permits, visit the Department of Public Works' Park Permit webpage

Where are Parks and Playgrounds Located in the City?

  • The Waterplay Locations Map shows parks and playgrounds throughout the city that feature waterplay sprinklers - ideal for cooling off in the summer heat.
  • The Off-Leash Dog Areas Map indicates which open spaces in the city are dedicated off-leash areas, shared use off-leash areas, and shared use hours areas. 

How do I report missing / broken equipment or a maintenance issue?

You can submit a service request at or you can call the parks department at 617/349-4885.

There are also a number of parks in Cambridge managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. For issues related to the Charles River Reservation, Alewife Reservation, Blair Pond, or McCrehan Memorial Pool, please call 617/626-1250 or

How do I report missing or broken equipment?

You can submit a service request at or you can call the parks department at 617/349-4885

What Are the City's Policies Regarding Dogs in Parks?

Dogs are generally allowed in parks on leash, except in certain areas where they are specifically prohibited, such as enclosed play areas for younger children. These are indicated by on-site signage. In addition, the City has established opportunities for Cambridge-licensed dogs to legally be off leash in certain locations and times. Please refer to the Off-Leash Dog Areas Map for more information. 

  • Dedicated Off-Leash Spaces are contained areas for dog play within parks. Dogs must be leashed prior to entering the off-leash spaces.
    The following parks have dedicated off-leash spaces:
    • Pacific Street Park in Cambridgeport, located at Pacific Street Park, at Tudor Street between Pacific Street and Sidney Street.
    • Danehy Park in Neighborhood Nine, located at Danehy Park, near the New Street entrance to the park.
    • Giacobbe Dog Run in North Cambridge, located behind the Anderson Courts near the intersection of Pemberton Street and Yerxa Road.
    • Temporary Off Leash Area at Rogers Street Park in East Cambridge, located at the northwest corner of the site of the future Rogers Street Park. Click here for more information.
  • Shared Use Hours allow for dogs to be off-leash during specific hours at the following locations:
    • Gold Star Mothers Park in East Cambridge, 6:00 A.M. to 9:00 A.M.
    • Raymond Street Park in Neighborhood Nine, 6:00 A.M. to 9:00 A.M.
    • Joan Lorentz Park in Mid-Cambridge, 8:00 A.M. to 10:00 A.M.
    • Greene-Rose Heritage Park in the Port, 6:00 A.M. to 9:00 A.M.
    • Hoyt Field in Cambridgeport, 6:00 A.M. to 9:00 A.M.

Additional Resources

To report irresponsible dog owners, please contact the Animal Commission at (617) 349-4376. 

Page was last modified on 2/4/2020 11:22 AM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via Commonwealth Connect for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.