U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

People waiting for concert

One-Day Licenses

License Commission

The License Commission issues one day licenses for Alcohol, Entertainment, Alcohol/Entertainment combo, AmusementAuction Sale and Hawker/Peddlers.  

Applications should be completed and submitted to the Board, at least two weeks prior to the date of the event. Even though the permit is only for one day, the licensee is subject to and must follow the Laws & Rules as any other licensee under Massachusetts General Law and Cambridge City Ordinances. The Licensee may be subject to discipline or the denial of any future applications if they fail to comply with the Laws/Rules.

The licensee must, prior to the event date, pick up the one-day license, pay for it, and on the date of the event, post it conspicuously at the event location.

Special Events

A Permit is required for any special event.   A "Special Event" is an event open to the general public; it can be held on public or private property; it may feature entertainment, amusements, food & beverages; it may be classified as a festival, road race, parade, or walkathon.  A public event in the City of Cambridge depending on the size and nature of the event may require a number of permits from various departments within the City before it is officially approved. 

Prior to approving a special event, the City requires the applicant to appear before the Special Events Committee. Prior to the meeting, the applicant must provide a completed Special Events Application with a detailed site plan or map of the area showing all of the following:

  • all American with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibility
  • pedestrian & fire access
  • dimensions of stages & tents
  • type of equipment or generators
  • the placement of any vendors and
  • any portable toilet facilities. (Site plan/map must be large enough to be legible.) and
  • If the site of the event is privately owned, a letter from the landlord giving the applicant the right to use the property is required.

    If the event is featuring entertainment, there must also be a list all performances.

    If the event is featuring amusements, there must also be a list of all rides & games.

    If this is a "first time" event, the applicant must attach any letters of support from local community and business organizations.

How do I apply for a one-day alcohol license?

The following link will explain the process and requirements for applying for this type of license. You should contact our office at 617 349-6140 if you have any additional questions.

One Day Alcohol License Procedure

How do I apply for a one-day entertainment license?

The following link will explain the process and requirements for applying for this license. You should contact our front office at 617 349-6140 if you have any additional questions.

One Day Entertainment Application

Page was last modified on 7/24/2023 8:09 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via SeeClickFix for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.