PARK(ing) Day: September 16, 2016
9/12/2016 • 7 years ago
The information on this page may be outdated as it was published 7 years ago.
What: City of Cambridge Official PARK(ing) Day Celebration
When: 8:00 A. M. to 6:00 P. M., Friday, September 16, 2016
What is PARK(ing) Day?
PARK(ing) Day is an annual international event where residents, artists and activities come together to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into "PARK(ing)" spaces: temporary public places. The mission of PARK(ing) Day is to call attention to the need for more urban open space, to generate critical debate around how public space is created and allocated, and to improve the quality of urban human habitat … at least until the meter runs out!
2016 Participating Groups
North Massachusetts Avenue
- Reservoir Church / North Cambridge Soccer Nights: For the Love of North Cambridge
Porter Square to Harvard Square along Massachusetts Avenue
- Department of Public Works: Recycling and Composting
- Rejjee, Inc: Safe Rides bike registration
- InHouse Studio: Pollock Park
- Cambridge Water Department: Park of Microscopic Life
- Economic Development: Harvard Square Intercept Survey! This spot is open 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
- Cambridge Election Commission: Voter Registration
- Envision Cambridge: Mobile Engagement Station
- Longfellow House: The Longfellow Garden - An oasis in the city. This spot is open 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- BoConcept Cambridge: Aquarelles and Scandinavian interior design
- Criminal Justice Policy Coalition: Together to end solitary
Broadway in front of Main Library
- Hubway: Separated Bike Lane from Trowbridge to CRLS (heading towards Harvard)
- City of Cambridge: Vision Zero
- Environmental & Transportation Planning: Yard Games
- Cambridge Public Library: Tribute to H A Rey and Curious George
- Cambridge Energy Alliance: Energy Efficiency Heroes
- Harvard University Planning Organization: Camping in Cambridge!
- Zipcar: Living Room Games
- Siena Construction: Piazza Siena
Inman Square and Cambridge Street
- Naveo Credit Union: Prize Wheel! This spot is open 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- PRACTICE Space: Backyard Garden Party
- SHIFT Community Bicycle Collective: Bicycle Tune-ups
- Cambridge Health Alliance: Sexual and Reproductive Health Program
- The Training Room: Fitness classes all day!
Central Square to MIT along Massachusetts Avenue
- Green Cambridge: Solar cooking, cardboard furniture and re-use ideas
- Community Art Center: Home Port placemaking initiative
- Cambridge Local First: Local Fashion Spot
- Cambridge Community Television: Sound Off - Election 2016. This spot is open 10:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
- Cambridge Bicycle Committee: Separated Bike Lane from Albany to Landsdowne in both directions. This spot is open 7:00 A.M. to 6:45 P.M.
- The Garment District: Dress-up Selfie Booth. This spot is open 11:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.
- Cambridge Redevelopment Authority: Pop-up park
- Charles River TMA: Bus Bike Harmony
- Housing Division: The Little House on the Roadway
- Pro EMS, Fire, Police, Emergency Communications, Mass MEMA: Public Safety Obstacle Course
- Cambridge School Volunteers: Teenage Time Warp
- MIT Terrascope: Future of Cities
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: Family games and resources
- Boston Custom Cards: Views from Kendall Square
- Soofa: Connected City
- GeoOrbital: Bike Commuting - Just another day at the office!
- Livable Streets Alliance - Outdoor office space
- Superpedestrian: Copenhagen Wheel demo rides
- Rejjee, Inc: Safe Bikes bike registration
- The Best Bees Company: Chess & Other Board Games
About PARK(ing) Day
Original concept by Rebar. www.rebargroup.org
The project began in 2005 when Rebar, a San Francisco art and design studio, converted a single metered parking space into a temporary public park in downtown San Francisco. Since 2005, PARK(ing) Day has evolved into a global movement, with organizations and individuals creating new forms of temporary public space in urban contexts around the world.
Check out the international PARK(ing) Day map!
For More Information
For more information on PARK(ing) Day in Cambridge, contact Jennifer Lawrence at email@example.com or 617/349-4671.