PARK(ing) Day 2019 will take place on September 20, 2019.
Registration is now open!
Join us in the Official City of Cambridge PARK(ing) Day celebration as we transform 150 parking spots into engaging and creative community spaces on Friday, September 20, 2019! PARK(ing) Day takes place from 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., with the option of only staying open from 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. to accommodate staffing needs.*
Open House: April 22, 4:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M., 344 Broadway: Drop by at any point to learn about PARK(ing) Day and get ideas for how to make your spot engaging!
Registration DUE DATE: June 28, 2019
The Cambridge Community Development Department (CDD) seeks creative residents, businesses, organizations, students, and institutions to participate in the official City of Cambridge PARK(ing) Day celebration, an international event in which metered parking spaces are transformed into engaging “parks” for one day of the year. Previous spots have been: libraries, dog parks, outdoor gyms, patios, nature preserves, classrooms, CPR lessons, dog parks, pilates classes, mini-golf courses, and much more.
Spaces are filled based on creativity of space, message, and timeliness. PARK(ing) Day is meant to create mini-parks in parking spots. We do not encourage simply placing a table with outreach materials in your spot. Vending is not allowed in PARK(ing) Day spaces, although eating food prepared and sold elsewhere is permitted.
Please view our website to learn about the criteria for participating in PARK(ing) Day! www.cambridgema.gov/ParkingDay
PARK(ing) Day is an annual open-source global event where residents, artists and activists collaborate to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into “PARK(ing)” spaces: temporary public places. The project began in 2005 when Rebar, a San Francisco art and design studio, converted a single metered parking space into a temporary public park in downtown San Francisco. PARK(ing) Day has since evolved into a global movement.
(Photo Credit: CultureHouse)
For more Information
To be added to the email list to participate next year, please contact Jennifer Lawrence at email@example.com or call at 617-349-4671.
PARK(ing) Day 2018 was a huge success!
In our biggest event yet, we partnered with 75 organizations, artists, businesses and City departments to turn 150 parking spots, including an open street on Main Street, into vibrant community spaces for the day! Check out what went down and email firstname.lastname@example.org to join our mailing list for interested spot sponsors!
Download the map here.
2018 Schedule of Events
The Dance Complex Workshops
- 10:00 - 11:50 - Alexander Technique through Latin dance and play with Fanny Lora
- 12:00 - 12:25 - Irish Dance with Jo Troll
- 12:30 - 12:55 - Hooping with Circe Rowan
- 1:00 - 1:50 - Flamenco with Yosi Karahashi
- 2:00 - 2:50 - Middle Eastern / North African Dance with Soumaya Marose
- 3:00 - 4:50 - Interactive Bollywood with Nikhil Paul
- 5:00 - 5:50 - Tai Chi and open floor
Community Supported Art with the Cambridge Arts Council
- 10:00 - 12:00 PM: Book-maker Emily Cobb and painter Deidre Tao
- 12:00 - 2:00PM: Illustrator Miriam Bucheli (aka Mireli Books)
- 2:00 - 4:00: Mixed-media artist Marcia Cohen
- 3:00 - 4:00: Etcher Nancy Beams
Kendall Square: Main Street at Ames
Cambridge / Kendall Center Farmers Market, Main Street ~ 10AM to 6PM
School of Honk Parade ~ 3:30PM to 4PM
CDD Main Stage!
8:00 AM: Tai Chi with Jean Lukitsh
10:00 AM: Yoga for Everyone!
11:00 AM: Bike Maintenance Basics Workshop with MassBike.
12:00 PM: Poetry by Subu Karmacharya
12:30 PM: Dance with Kumi Okabe
1:00 PM: Beyond Bike Maintenance Basics Workshop.
2:00 PM: Bodyweight Circuit Training with The Training Room.
3:30 PM: HONK Parade!
4:00 PM: Singer/Songwriter Stuart Dash
4:30 PM: Band Land Brass Band
5:00 PM: Tongue in Cheek Singers
5:30 PM: Treble Alliance
Parkour Strength Training Workout 8:00 - 8:45am
Open Challenges & Play 9am - 12pm
Intro to Parkour Workshop 12:00 - 12:45pm
Parkour Strength Training Workout 1:00 - 1:45pm
Open Challenges & Play 2pm - 4pm
Intro to Parkour Workshop 4:00 - 4:45pm
Open Challenges 5:00 - 6:00pm
- 1-1:30PM: "Power for The People: Fitness Anytime, Anywhere with Bodyweight", an introduction to the benefits of minimalist workouts and how to build an easy, personalized plan around your ability level and schedule.
Street Performers’ Showcase!
- The Imaginators - 10am-12noon - experience the string and vocal talents of three young Cambridge musicians all under 16 years of age!
- Chills Mills – 12-2pm – classic rock interpretations for keys
- Magic Zach – 2-4pm - lively interactive up-close magic show
Bluebikes Separated Bike Lane from Roseland Street to the Shaking Crab ~ 7AM to 7PM
Bike / Bus Priority Lane from Roseland Street to Somerville Ave ~ 3PM to 7PM
North Mass Ave
- Glocal / Livable Streets Alliance Bus & Bike Priority Lane Inbound from Rindge Ave to Walden Street ~ 7AM to 9AM
- Glocal / Livable Streets Alliance Bus & Bike Priority Lane Outbound from Walden Street to Rindge Ave ~ 3PM to 7PM
Cambridge Rindge and Latin School (449 Broadway)
- Glocal / Cambridge Bicycle Safety Separated Bike Lane from Trowbridge to CRLS ~ 7AM to 7PM
What is PARK(ing) Day?
PARK(ing) Day is an annual international event where residents, artists, and activists come together to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into "PARK(ing)" spaces: temporary public places.
The mission of PARK(ing) Day is to call attention to the need for more urban open space, to generate critical debate around how public space is created and allocated, and to improve the quality of urban human habitat … at least until the meter runs out!
About PARK(ing) Day
Original concept by Rebar. www.rebargroup.org
The project began in 2005 when Rebar, a San Francisco art and design studio, converted a single metered parking space into a temporary public park in downtown San Francisco. Since 2005, PARK(ing) Day has evolved into a global movement, with organizations and individuals creating new forms of temporary public space in urban contexts around the world.
For More Information
For more information about PARK(ing) Day in Cambridge, email email@example.com or call 617/349-4671.