1997 Retail Trade
Download Data as Office Open XML (.xlsx)
|NAICS Code||Type of Business||Number of Establishments||Sales ($1,000)||Annual Payroll ($1,000)||Paid Employees(1)
|44 to 45||Retail Trade||535||1113354||124614||7290
|441||Motor Vehicle and Parts Dealers||12||69616||3944||199
|442||Furniture and Home Furnishings Stores||35||49265||6379||291
|443||Electronics and Appliances Stores||36||128745||13843||477
|444||Building Materials and Garden Equipment and Supplies Dealers||16||52633||7376||248
|445||Food and Beverage Stores||76||206943||26195||1520
|446||Health and Personal Care Stores||43||74896||8962||576
|448||Clothing and Clothing Accessories Stores||121||155607||18020||1530
|451||Sporting Goods, Hobby, Music and Books Stores||64||136762||16360||998
|452||General Merchandise Stores||10||D||D||f
|453||Miscellaneous Store Retailers||70||D||D||f
|454||Nonstore Retailers (Including Electronic Shopping and Mail Order Houses)||26||57872||5091||164
- Industries with 500 employees or more are shown. Some statistics are withheld to avoid disclosing data for individual companies. If employment is 500 or more, number of establishments is shown and employment size range is indicated by one of the following symbols:
- a: 0 to 19 employees
- b: 20 to 99 employees
- c: 100 to 249 employees
- e: 250 to 499 employees
- f: 500 to 999 employees
- g: 1,000 to 2,499 employees
- h: 2,500 to 4,999 employees
- i: 5,000 to 9,999 employees
- j: 10,000 to 24,999 employees
- k: 25,000 to 49,999 employees
- l: 50,000 to 99,999 employees
- m: 100,000 employees or more
- D: Withheld to avoid disclosing information about individual companies. Data is included in broader categories.
Source: U. S. Census, 1997 Economic Census, Retail Trade, Geographic Area Series, September 1999.
The figures presented here should not compared to the employment by industry figures generated by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development. The methodology and intended uses of the information differ, making direct comparisons impracticable.
For More Information
For more information about socioeconomic and demographic statistics about Cambridge, please contact Cliff Cook, email@example.com, Planning Information Manager, at 617/349-4656.