The Climate Resilience Zoning Task Force has been meeting monthly beginning in January, 2019. Meetings thus far have included presentations from City staff on the City's Climate Change Preparedness & Resilience planning efforts; basic zoning tools and strategies; anticipated flooding impacts due to sea level rise, storm surge, and precipitation; and heat impacts. Task Force members also participated in a walking tour of the Alewife area to see in-person examples of older and more recent development and to identify and discuss resilience issues in the context of buildings and sites. The Task Force has held two joint meetings with the Health and Environment Committee of the City Council.
Based on this information, the Task Force drafted a set of principles and objectives to guide final recommendations. The Task Force is currently in the process of discussing potential approaches to implementing these principles and objectives.
See “Schedule” for further information about upcoming meetings and "Documents" to review materials from past and upcoming meetings.
1. Doug Brown (Co Chair) - West Cambridge
2. Conrad Crawford - East Cambridge/Cambridge Redevelopment Authority
3. Ted Cohen - North Cambridge/Planning Board
4. Mike Nakagawa - North Cambridge
5. Louis Bacci Jr - Laborers Local 151/East Cambridge/Planning Board
6. Brian Goldberg - MIT Office of Sustainability
7. Tom Lucey - Harvard University
8. Margaret Moran - Cambridge Housing Authority
9. Craig Nicholson - Just-a-Start
Business Representatives/Property Owners
10. Jason Alves - East Cambridge Business Assoc.
11. Nancy Donahue - Cambridge Chamber of Commerce
12. Joe Maguire - Alexandria
13. Tom Sullivan - Divco West
14. Mike Owu - MITIMCo
Subject Matter Experts
15. Tom Chase - Energy & Resilience Consultant, New Ecology
16. Lauren Miller - Climate Consultant, CDM Smith
17. Jim Newman - Resilience Consultant, Linnaean Solutions
18. John Bolduc - Environmental Planner
19. Iram Farooq (Co-Chair) - Assistant City Manager for Community Development
20. Kathy Watkins - City Engineer/Assistant Commissioner