Home Improvement Programs
The City's Home Improvement Program (HIP) provides low-interest and deferred payment home improvement loans as well as technical assistance in selecting and working with home improvement contractors. The City provides this assistance with Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding which is made available to income-eligible owners of condominiums, single family homes and 2- to 4-unit multi-family homes through two local non-profit housing agencies.
Home Improvement Program (HIP) loans can assist with:
- Correction of health and safety code violations
- Elimination of lead paint hazards
- Installation of energy conservation measures, such as new windows and insulation
- Roof replacement and other exterior repairs
- Other needed repairs to kitchens, baths, heating systems, etc.
City assistance through the HIP program is available through two local non-profit agencies: Homeowner’s Rehab, Inc (HRI), and Just-A-Start Corporation (JAS). To be directed to one of these agencies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-349-4622.
Once you contact an agency, the staff at the agency will:
- determine your eligibility,
- help you identify necessary repairs
- estimate costs of the repairs
- and assess your eligibility for low-interest financing
Once a HIP loan has been approved, agency staff will
- help find home improvement contractors to make the repairs
- assist owners in working with contractors through the rehab process
To Apply for a HIP Loan or for More Information
If you wish to begin the HIP loan process or need more information about the City's HIP program, please contact email@example.com or call 617-349-4622.
Please note that there is no cost or fee to apply for Home Improvement Program assistance, and the non-profit agencies that administer the Home Improvement Program will never request money from residents to participate in the City’s program. If you have been asked to pay a fee to apply for program assistance, or otherwise suspect you have received suspicious communication, please contact us.