Home Improvement Programs

1 Allston Court

The City's Home Improvement Program (HIP) provides low-interest and deferred payment home improvement loans as well as technical assistance in selecting and working with home improvement contractors. Assistance is available to income-eligible owners of condominiums, single family homes and 2- to 4-unit multi-family homes.

These loans can assist with:

  • Correction of health and safety code violations
  • Elimination of lead paint hazards
  • Installation of energy conservation measures, such as new windows and insulation
  • Roof replacement and other exterior repairs
  • Other needed repairs to kitchens, baths, heating systems, etc.

City assistance through the HIP program is available through two local non-profit agencies: Homeowner’s Rehab, Inc (HRI), and Just-A-Start Corporation (JAS). To be directed to one of these agencies, please contact Anna Dolmatch at 617/349-4645 or adolmatch@cambridgema.gov.

Once you contact an agency, the staff at the agency will:

  • determine your eligibility,
  • help you identify necessary repairs
  • estimate costs of the repairs
  • and assess your eligibility for low-interest financing

Once a HIP loan has been approved, agency staff will

  • help find home improvement contractors to make the repairs
  • assist owners in working with contractors through the rehab process

To Apply for a HIP Loan or for More Information

If you wish to begin the HIP loan process or need more information about the City's HIP program, please contact Anna Dolmatch at 617/349-4645 or adolmatch@cambridgema.gov

Current Home Improvement Program (HIP) Borrowers

Homeowners with a payback loan through the Home Improvement Program (HIP) facing hardship due to the COVID-19 outbreak may opt-in to a short-term payment deferral.  Under the deferral, eligible borrowers will not be required to make payments for six months and the loan maturity date will be extended by six months.  

For more information, please contact the HIP agency that administers your loan:

For general information about HIP, please contact Anna Dolmatch, adolmatch@cambridgema.gov